Horn button dim switch question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Horn button dim switch question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 08:35 am:

Hey guys, I am thinking of something creative but I don't know if it'll work.

My T is a 20 so it has the regular push horn electric button.

On the earlier models (don't know which years) the horn button had the light switch as well (turning action).

What was the action on that horn switch? Was it just an on and off switch? or did it have off, dim, and on switch?

I ask because I am going to place turn signals on my T (I live in the city and the majority of the drivers are morons or uneducated when it comes to hand signals) And I really don't like these turn signal devices on the market... They don't look right...

So I was thinking of rewiring this horn/light switch to act as a turn signal.

Thanks in advance for any info...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 09:16 am:

The light switch was a single pole 3 position switch with off/dim/bright positions but the horn button shared the magneto connection so you need to be careful that nothing gets connected up incorrectly if you happen to push the horn button when you rotate the thing to turn on your turn signal. I am not sure how well any repro version of this switch works. Assuming you retain the magneto horn that your car came out with you may end up with both a hot battery connection and a hot magneto connection being near each other inside that switch so be very careful not to ever let them touch each other our you will harm your magneto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 09:20 am:

The earlier cars with the headlight switch in the horn button were off/on only. They were used with the magneto powered headlights and horn, and those headlights, even though they had two contacts, had no high/ low beam. The headlights were wired in series so if one burned out, the other would not light. As the mag would generate 18+ volts at speed, this was a rudimentary method to prevent burning out the second headlight once the first burned out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 09:46 am:

If the car had a dimmer coil - and I think Ford cars got it in 1918, then there were dim and bright positions in the switch even with magneto lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Guys, thanks for the info... Okay, yes having those wires so close might cause issues... Didn't think of that.
So thinking outside the box... Let me see what I can come up with... Oh! Maybe I'll do a double horn (horn button on each side... I'll have to move the horn to the right (no issue for me since my Land Rover has it on the right)
Or if I find steering wheel horn button/ring!

Found this thread on horn button:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/263904.html?1328139051

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 02:32 pm:

How about getting a horn button housing, and building an adapter for a single pole, double throw with center off switch. Then you have a period-looking switch that you can tell at a glance if it's on and which side is on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 07:17 pm:

Robert-
If you want to use the two position headlight switch for your turn signals, I'd suggest you replace the magneto horn with a battery horn. If you have the light switch on the ignition switch, you are good to go, otherwise you could add a separate push/pull switch (1915-1917 type) on the dash for the headlights.

I believe Larry make reproduction combo horn/headlight switches.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

I had picked up a couple of the combo horn/ light switches over the years and always planned to put one on my 1918 but thought the lights just had one position - what good stuff you learn on the forum! I can't wait to get home to look at my switches to see how I missed the two position light portion! Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

Keith, who is Larry? Would like to get one of these switches

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 11:28 am:

Larry "original" Smith

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration