OT Old Car Related

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT Old Car Related
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 10:15 am:

My Maxwell doesn't have a gas gauge I thought if I put a sight gauge at the bottom of the cowl mounted tank just before the shutoff I would at least have a way of telling when I was getting low. Anyone see why this would or would NOT work? Would I have trouble keeping air out of the gauge?

Appreciate any ideas,
Howard Dennissight 2sight 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 10:24 am:

Hi Howard,

That oil gauge may not work for you as they have a breather hole in the top so that the oil level can rise and fall. If the fuel level in your tank is higher than the top of the gauge the fuel will run out of the gauge until the level falls to the top of the gauge. If you fabricated something of this sort, but a tad taller than your fuel tank, that might work. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 10:56 am:

Bill is correct. Without a vent at the top, air in the tube will interfere with the gas level. My oil sight tube demonstrates a principle that may work for you.

With both petcocks opened for checking the oil, the fluid will seek its own level. Perhaps you could adapt this plastic tubing idea to work with your fuel tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

Original type sight gauges (brass and glass) have a tendency to break under vibration. Other materials, or securing it very carefully would be recommended. More than a few people have had these type gauges break while driving and lost engine oil. As bad as that can be, dumping a bunch of gasoline over a hot engine could be far worse.
Just a consideration. A very important consideration.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration