Lesson learned

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Lesson learned
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 09:30 am:

Here's an example of why I try to do most of my own work. I brought a flywheel, crank and rods to be dynamically balanced. Here's what I got back. Check out the disturbed thrust surfaces on the crank and rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 10:19 am:

Richard this is from a machine shop that has experience with building Ford model T engines?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 10:26 am:

Looks like you should of left instructions in Braille. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 10:36 am:

John, this guy was referred to me. He has balanced many A engines but not T. I explained to him how I wanted the crank balanced separately, then the flywheel balanced after assembling to the crank and trans shaft the same orientation I had marked. I asked that he balance both ends of the rods. He did as instructed but apparently didn't understand the need to have full thrust surfaces. You wouldn't think you'd have to explain that to him.
Jay, you are so right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 10:39 am:

The surface on that rod bearing does not look new, indeed it looks well used. the rod bolt look long, maybe the cap has been ground down, our local Babbitt shop hates when you do that to the cap. The crank also does not look like a particularly smooth surface. I guess you were balancing a set of used parts, or were poorly machined before balancing. JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 11:35 am:

Tony, the rod and crank journal surfaces look that way because of Timesaver and dirt. The babbitt is new. They do need to be redone before final assembly. Don't know why the pin hole in the rod is above the nut. The caps didn't appear to be ground down. I'll compare them with others I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 11:40 am:

Tony, the rod and crank journal surfaces look that way because of Timesaver and dirt. The babbitt is new. They do need to be redone before final assembly. Don't know why the pin hole in the rod is above the nut. The caps didn't appear to be ground down. I'll compare them with others I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

I don't think he covered the Babbitt when he ground the weight off.

When steel, or Babbitt sparks hit another Babbitt surface, they will always embed into it, and that is what you end up with.

So much for your nice smooth crank surface, a crank grinder will try to get so perfect!

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 01:19 pm:

I really can't tell but it appears you are being invited to the two piece crank club. Are the journals squared off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 02:25 pm:

I agree Herm, he ground off a bunch of babbitt on the rods. Although its hard to tell from the photos, John, the crank journals do have radii.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration