Old Photo - Posing With A Early Ford On The Front Lawn

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Posing With A Early Ford On The Front Lawn
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 09:50 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 10:01 am:

Another great picture of an early Ford. Proud owners getting their photo taken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

Nice picture! Some good detail. Model N? (I am trying to learn more about these things) I enlarged the picture on my screen. It does appear to not have the bolt-together rims, but does appear to have the bolt on maybe single-tube tires. I am looking forward to comments from those more learned than I.
Thank you Jay and all!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

Looks like a Model N.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 06:16 pm:

Wheels are Goodyear I believe. Plain clinchers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Assuming it has not had any major changes to it since it left the Ford factory, it is clearly a Model N Runabout. Only the Model N Runabout had the step plates. The Model R Runabout and Model S Runabout both shared the same fenders and running boards. And the Model S Roadster – the one with the curved metal cowl and mother-in-law seat had a shorter running board than the R & S Runabouts but still had a running board.

Wayne, the best reference I know of on the 1903-1909 Fords is “Pate’s Early Ford Automobile Encyclopedia” (available from the club at: http://modeltstore.myshopify.com/products/pates-early-ford-automotive-encycloped ia-1903-1909 or page 9 of the catalog if the link does not work for some reason.) If you or anyone would like a free article “How to ID the Model N, R, S Fords” drop me an e-mail or private message with “Send How to ID ….” In the title and I will forward a copy to you. It shares the basic features that are different between the 4 models. And note all 4 models begin with serial number 1 and go up. So there are 4 cars with each serial number until you reach the higher numbers where the lower production models start dropping out around 2546 for the R Runabout; around 2336 for the Model S Runabout; around 3708 for the Model S Roadster; and around 6928 for the Model N Runabout. Those numbers are documented in Trent’s Early Database that is included in “Pate’s Early Ford Automobile Encyclopedia” but it only contains approximately 22-25 % of the 1903-1908 serial numbers because many ledgers are still missing from the Benson Ford Archives.

I suspect the car has the earlier body with the top irons coming out the middle of the back of the front seat rather than at the top of the back seat. That combined with the bale handle side lamps leads me to believe the car is an earlier rather than a later Model N. I.e. May 1907 or earlier. (That is based on Trent’s research that shows that many of the Ford items were ordered in lots of 2500. (For example approximately the first 2500 Model Ts have the fish plates added to the frames and the water pump engines.) And the 5001st Model N Runabout shipped in May 1907.)

Well I just realized the time change is at 2AM tomorrow morning. If I set the clocks forward now rather than then do I still loose an hour of sleep?

Finally – notice that the wheels appear to have multiple valve stems. Does anyone have some links so I can read up more on that later?

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max L. Christenson on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

If you go to sleep an hour early, theoretically, you will not lose an hours sleep. Actually, it is all relative. For instance, if you don't go to sleep an hour early and wake up an hour "late" you still will not have lost an hour of sleep.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration