26 front fender bolts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 26 front fender bolts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary j. baker on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

can someone tell me what the correct bolts are for the front fender bracket to frame on a 26 coupe?
thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 02:35 pm:

Gary, I suppose they are the same as on a 27 Roadster and I am needing the same information...

Anyone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 06:07 pm:

3/8 x 1or 1 1/2 fine thread with castle nuts and cotter pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 07:47 am:

Thanks Jim.

What about the fender to splash shields? When I took everything apart, mine had two different size flat washers (head side and nut side) on the 1/4 x 5/8 small headed bolts. I suspect they are not original since they are different sizes. I bought a set of replacement hardware to make up for some missing pieces and they came only with lock washers. The holes in the splash apron are so big that the small bolt heads will just pass through them, so I'm convinced there must have been large flat washers on this application.

Does anyone have an original 26-27 to verify the number of washers used on the fender to splash shields and their diameter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 08:09 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 09:09 am:

Original '26 touring, very original, here are the underside fender fasteners.

Hex bolt, washer, apron&fender, lockwasher, square nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 10:17 am:

Fantastic Dan. Thanks very much.

Could I have you take another look at that Touring and tell me how the steering column bolts are oriented? I would think the nut goes outside the firewall because it would easier to build that way, but the other way would be prettier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

Eric

Here are those shots from my original Nov '25 mfg. Improved runabout.

(that later 40's type stoplight switch, with push wire to the brake pedal, was added by owner in the 60's.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

Dan, that's a priceless picture. You answered a bunch more of questions with it!

Now you can have the weekend off... or until I come up another query! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Voss on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

My 27 had 1/4 20 bolt 1" or 3/4" long with a 3/8 thick head, two flat washers and one lock washer, and a square nut. The car had never been apart. They do not make this bolt so I used a shoulder bolt and cut the shoulder off to make it look right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Mine was put together with the same size bolts as sold by Lang's for the splash shields; 1/4-20 x 5/8. The bolt has a thick head (about a 1/4") but I would have to measure to be sure. It's 2am and raining so I'll check it out in the morning.

The assembly order:
bolt - flat washer - fender - splash apron - flat washer - lock washer - square nut.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration