1926 transmission question - stuck drums

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1926 transmission question - stuck drums
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

I ran out to the shop to take my transmission apart to inspect it. Did not need pullers - so far... It all came apart nicely.

Problem - the center drum will not come all the way off of the brake drum, just half way and stops. What's the secret to getting these apart?

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 11:34 pm:

Twist and pull. What you're feeling is the unworn section of the gear. A tap or two with a rubber mallet and a block of hardwood sometimes helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 11:59 am:

Make sure there are no burrs around the key seats where the driven gear goes. Lightly sand the end of the shaft with emery cloth and it will probably slip off.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 12:35 pm:

Travis, if the clutch drum came off without a puller it was to loose on the driven shaft and that will have to be corrected on re assembly. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

I plan to rebrush?term all the drums and do a total rebuild. Does the clutch drum have a bushing? If so does it come in the rebuild kit with the others?

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

You know what's odd, once I cut the wire ties off of the bolts the bolts just unscrewed with my hands - why would they have been that loose?

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

Travis, the clutch drum is a press fit on the transmission drum and has no bushing. This is the drum with the set screw. The low speed, reverse, and brake drums have bushings. The tripple gears and driven plate have bushings as well. I would not replace the brake drum and driven plate bushings unless they're worn otherwise you can cause run-out issues. I assume you're referring to the bolt that hold the driven plate to the brake drum. Somebody probably did not get them tight enough and they gradually worked themselves loose. I found the same thing once.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

"The clutch drum is a press fit on the transmission drum and has no bushing." I meant transmission shaft instead of transmission drum.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

How do I fix the issue with the clutch drum being loose? I am thinking of buying the turbo400 kit with the new specialized turbo 400 clutch drum from Langs - I'm guessing if that is not a press fit then my shaft is worn? Then what would I do?

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 05:36 pm:

Travis, there is nothing at all wrong with the stock clutch and it is just as reliable as the aftermarket clutches. As long as your discs are flat and not cracked they can be reused. You should use a new spring however. Measure your transmission shaft where the drum goes. I believe it should be .998 but, I could be wrong. If the shaft is ok then your drum is worn and needs to be replaced. Better drums are easy to find and cost next to nothing. If the shaft is worn you'll need to replace it.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

Thanks! I'll get it measured tonight.

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

Well shucks - this is why the drum would not come off. Ended up having to use a traditional 3 leg puller "no I did not just pull on the cast lol".

Is this drum shot or is there somewhere I can get it repaired?

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

785-408-3409

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard, Dallas TX on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 12:07 am:

Wow. That's ugly. That shaft sees torque, so I would not risk a repair. New repros are expensive, but you may be able to find a good used one on Classifieds or at Chickasha this week. Worst case, you can find one with a bad drum with good shaft, and then if your drum end is good, I think one of the vendors can arrange swapping out the good shaft onto the good drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 01:02 am:

That shaft is shot - the crack almost goes all the way around.

I am hoping I can just bead blast the drum, check for cracks then send it off to have a new shaft put on. I'm just not sure if anyone #1 has or makes a shaft #2 who could put it on once I find one?

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 01:27 am:

I have one (early style) just about like that sitting on the shelf in the shop. Ugly is right! That must have take a lot of abuse to get like that. If the drum is good you could install a better shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 09:02 am:

Check for cracks in the clutch disk too. You should have needed a "BA" puller to get it off the transmission shaft. If you disassembled it without a puller, the disk or shaft is toast.

Sounds like your trans was assembled on the fly with scrap parts. Better check everything in detail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 09:05 am:

Travis, check this out. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/622090.html?1457873613

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 10:27 am:

Travis, after buying new drums I removed the old gears from the old drums and then had the old gears riveted to the new drums at the machine shop.

You just need 8 new brake drum rivets. They're available from the vendors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

Thanks Eric! I'll check with my local shop to see if they can do that.

Does it matter if I use aluminum oxide to blast my drums - one of the videos says only to use glass bead?

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

Dave Nolting can rerivet your gear to your drum.740-360-1904.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 07:18 pm:

Before you go to far, check for cracks and that the rivets are tight to start with. If they are loose there is a good chance that even the over sized ones will might be too small. These rivets are not a standard off the shelf item the head is cut different this normal rivets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

All the drums are tight on their shafts - no loose rivets. I have looked over the drums and scrubbed them a bit with soap, don't see any cracks yet except the one in the shaft.

Travis

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration