Finished the generator test stand

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Finished the generator test stand
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Housego (United Kingdom) on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 08:16 am:

Some time ago members posted pictures of their home brew generator test stands for me which gave me ideas to build one. Finally finished it and very pleased with the results, so much easier repairing, testing and adjusting generators with this. I used a digital amp volt meter combination (appreciate this is no in keeping with the period!) as I had difficulty finding descent analogue meters at a reasonable prices. This digital one was cheap and very accurate :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 08:50 am:

That's a really slick setup John. I assume the connecting piece between the gears is a piece of rubber tubing or a strip of rubber under the hose clamps?

The 6V battery looks like the last one I put in my CitroŽn 2CV before I sold it. Authentic looking with the external plate connectors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Housego (United Kingdom) on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 09:05 am:

Well Eric thatís a bit "in progress" at the moment, a friend of mine machined an old generator gear as below (idea came from Ron P), this is fitted but unfortunately I have it slightly off centre causing meshing issues with the generator gear. So in the picture above you see a bit of heavy rubber sleeving held with jubilee clips as a temporary coupling until I sort the direct coupling out, as it happens this temporary measure works very well :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 09:16 am:

That's one heck of a machined gear there!

What RPM so you use to spin the generator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 10:32 am:

John
I cannot claim credit to the modified generator gear drive. I copied it from another and used it too.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Sorry wrong photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

John, does that meter use a shunt for amps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Housego (United Kingdom) on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

Eric: I picked up this motor at a swap meet at a reasonable price, I had to replace the start capacitor and rewire it to rotate the correct way but its 1380RPM 0.25Kw 1.9A and does the job well.

Ken: Yes it needs a shunt which it came with however I had to adjust it considerably to get an accurate current reading. As I said it was very cheep but comparing with my Fluke Volts and Amp readings are now very accurate. Also the meter needs to be powered separately 5 to 30 volts, I used a simple switch mode power supply.

Ron: OK on the modified gear credit, I always very much appreciate your help and input on here.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration