Old Photo - Springfield Minnesota is all (W) Right :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Springfield Minnesota is all (W) Right :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 10:18 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 10:33 am:

Wow, I've never seen that picture before, all I can think about is the power lines off either wingtip!!

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 10:41 am:

As much as I LOVE this picture, I question it's authenticity as I am not finding any shadow from the Flyer. I WANT this to be real, but I'm thinking period photoshop. Unless, the Flyer's shadow is just beyond the left rear wheel of the second wagon with the milk cans.

Jay, your skill at finding these fantastic pictures is unmatched. Bravo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 10:46 am:

The Ebay listing for the pic implies that the Wright flyer was added onto the original picture.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Springfield-MINNESOTA-RP1910-WRIGHT-AIRPLANE-nr-Sleepy-E ye-Redwood-Falls-New-Ulm-/361438681238?hash=item54276c9896%3Ag%3AGYEAAOSw3ydVy~T u&nma=true&si=nxmrCb%252BCwkWL%252BOkR40EMMXKGI2M%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trk sid=p2047675.l2557

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

That's a common style of novelty postcard - airplane down main street. It is a cut and paste job.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/463805.html?1406141539

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

Note that the guy on the left by the power pole isn't looking up. If there was actually an airplane in that spot at that time he'd be looking, no doubt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

Would think everybody and the horses would be aware of the show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

What's harder to believe, in spite of the masses of photographic evidence, is
that our world once looked this cool, and that WE turned into the sterilized, ugly
mess we are forced to look at today. :-P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

Burger, It is all part of the plot to disguise the worst corruption since the fall of the Roman Empire, by putting a facade of clean sterility in front of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

Thanks Wayne .... I feel much better now ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

Always glad to help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

The photo was taken in 1894. What the...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 09:48 am:

Interesting to me is the building to the immediate left of the clock- "Furniture and UNDERTAKING"!

That's quite a combo... but I bet they had some nice coffins!

jk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 10:04 am:

Not surprising at all.

It was very common for undertakers to also be in the furniture business.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 11:47 am:

Furniture for life, and afterlife.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 12:23 pm:

On top of year being off, the Wright Flyer pictured is a later version (circa 1905-1909). You can tell by the shape of the wings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenhadon on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 03:17 am:

The old picture of Wright flyer is really beautiful. It resembles the hard work and achievement of the Wright Brothers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

My dad was born in Kansas City, Kansas and had a funeral parlor for a neighbor. He told me that if kids messed with his equipment he would slam the hearse door closed and laugh wildly. Took only one session to break them of trespassing. The undertaker, dad said, would take furniture and old clothes for payment and people could go to his store and buy the furniture, dishes, clothes, old used eye glasses and (gross of all to me) used false teeth. I'd pass.

Joe R. Independence, Mo.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration