Finally! Good Weather is here in NY (T-time)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Finally! Good Weather is here in NY (T-time)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

Grammy taking the boys out in her T.

Warm enough that the boy thought it was a convertible day

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Belling on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Wow Dan,a 54 Merc convertible. Is that yours? Nice to see your starting the grandkids out right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 06:30 pm:

Al, yes the Merc. is in my parts dept. Where you see the boys walking shows some more of the cars. When I got that Merc there was another one with it, but were to many trees growing through it to get it out. I stripped it there. I used the power windows when I restored my 53 Merc Convert. Both of those parts cars had power windows, every switch relay and motor worked from both cars. Hard to believe with the shape they were in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

Dan by chance do you have a 1948 -50 ford f1 front clip in you parts department I need one for a truck I am redoing Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

It still amazes me that people will take infants for a ride with no required child safety seat or even a seat belt. You simply can't be safe enough in a T. It's not possible. I'm pretty sure that at least child seats are required antique car or not. That's one hell of a chance your taking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 11:59 pm:

Dan, Ellen must be a saint!!! My Wife would shoot me if I tried to get that many cars...

Will we get a garage tour as part of The Finger Lakes Tour this summer? Just wondering....

Garage tours are fun!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 06:56 am:

Spencer- I don't have a front clip. Any sheet metal on those cars are to rusted to be of any use. Good Luck with your truck. I have a 50 Panel. Nice trucks.

Charlie-We have hooks in our T's for the boys car seats for any serious driving. My wife just took the boys on a few trips back and forth to the corner and around our farm. In this day and age, kids aren't able to experience a ride like this. When I posted these pictures, my wife said someone will mention the safety part. The boys are buckled in when we go any distance. The truth of the matter is T's are not safe if they get hit with a modern car and car seats can be deadly if the car flips but they are required by law.

Keith-She's worse than me, talks me into buying cars. Yes, we will stop during the tour. We will have a garage, barn, and parts department tour if anyone wants to check them out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 02:41 pm:

Thanks, Dan....I'm looking forward to it.

Finger Lakes Tour, here we come! :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 11:36 am:

Ah, the seat belt conundrum. Think about it folks ... you've tightly strapped yourself to the most flimsy automobile ever mass produced. Now you roll it. What's gonna happen? There's going to be a skidmark composed partly of turd and mostly of stupid genes that should never have crawled out of the pool. Seatbelts ONLY work in a vehicle that is designed to survive a typical crash, but even then seatbelts will cause severe internal injury many times. If I ever have an accident in my roadster pickup or my racer I'm going to have broken bones from being thrown but my chances of surviving are much greater than being strapped in to something that's going to fly apart and then leak gasoline.

Seatbelts in a Model T may only useful in low speed, non-rollover incidents to keep you from flopping around and hopefully maintain some semblance of control.

Show me the proof that they work in an 'at-speed' accident.

Sorry for the thread drift but there are people with no self-thought that need to be warned.

Regards all,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

It's nearly impossible to convince folks that they bring infants on T rides to satisfy themselves not the kids. Things happen so quickly with these "wagons with motors in them" and it's usually not for the better. I agree with Garnet. Seat belts in a T don't have any real use and if they don't an infant seat doesn't either. Nothing's happened so "I'm just going here or there" with the kids seems OK. I don't give infants rides because if something happens and I'm the one that walks away I'd probably put my head in the oven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

Well, I am going to place seatbelts in the rear bench seat (3 across) for my boys.

I got pulled over and the officer gave me a warning that children needed seatbelts in vintage cars (adults don't need them).

But I am doing it not only for legal reasons but for low impact (under 15 mph) accidents. I rather have the kids strapped... but I have to admit anything over 15 mph is a crap shoot, and if one gets hit... well lets not go there.

Luckily, around the neighborhood, to school, Ace hardware, restaurants or the ice-cream shop, I never make it over 20 (to many stop signs, I always take the back streets).

But to the farmers market on Sunday it is a straight road with only cross streets on the right, speed is about 30 but anything coming onto the road I can see from a mile away. Plus its Sunday so 75% fewer cars on the road.

Any longer trips I do by myself, or with a friend. (wife usually meets me where ever I go in her car with the kids, like the car meets, etc.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 12:51 am:

Bah, Gramma is thinking ahead, waiting for that car that's already over the WHITE line in the rumble strips.... :-)
Nice inventory Dan! Kids love to play in that stuff! Yeehaw! Two happy boys! One's the thinker, the other says "Let's go Grammy!"
Gramma (my wife) rides back in the box of the pickup with three of the grandsons as she's scared they'll jump out!
Fun stuff and nice touring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Duey, Grandchildren sure do bring us grandparents a world of joy. They can't wait to climb in the T's.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration