OT, but still Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT, but still Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

We have a carburetor off a 84 Ford pickup that sat for several years . The steel throttle shaft is frozen in the die cast carburetor body. Any suggestions on how to free it up would be appreciated .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

Maybe you'll have some luck using the same procedure I used to free up the frozen handle on the T's crank. Heat up the area (not as much as on the steel crank of course) and spray penetrating oil on the ends of the shaft. It will soak in and start working to loosen the shaft. Repeat a few times and give the shaft some light taps from side to side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 05:45 pm:

We used some highly effective carburetor cleaner that you can buy at auto parts houses. Its pretty potent. The cleaner comes in a 1 or 2 gal can with a basket that you use to lower the carburetor or parts and let it soak.
This was around 15 years ago when I had a 56 Ford that had the old style 4 barrel carburetor on it.
It was stuck up pretty much through out. We even got the original jets out of it that were frozen up. It took around 2 weeks but it did work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 01:20 am:

Get a BIG old soldering iron and heat the shaft whilst applying good grade penetrating oil (Kroil or similar stuff--NOT WD-40). LIGHT tapping can help too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

I would not use any heat on the diecast part. Soaking in carb cleaner or Kroil should loosen it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 12:23 pm:

Ditto John. Would not heat a pot metal part. A good soaking is in order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

I agree with John and Charlie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

I have freed up several diecast carbs with a oxy- axctaline torch just keep it moving on casting only a second or two it expands fast

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration