Help Installing Windshield

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Help Installing Windshield
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 04:51 pm:

Any tricks to removing the glass on a 15 T Roadster and replacing it with safety glass

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

Lay it on floor,cover with an old tarp or rug and get a BA hammer. Wear safety gogles.and bring a dust pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

Big Authoritative hammer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

Rich, I have done a replacement on my '15 and it went well. Have done a few others also that turned out just fine.

A couple of tips: If the glass is stuck in the frame you can use vise grips to grab the glass and pull or tap with a a light hammer-- be sure to use something like a leather glove between the vise grips and the glass. Also take the original glass to the glass shop for them to use as a pattern and tell them it must be exactly the same size. I like to ask for the original glass back so I can check their work. Also be VERY careful of the brass channel that encompasses the glass as it is fragile and can break-- also expensive to replace. My safety glass was slightly thicker but was not a problem. You might want to paint the frames and take care of any rust issues prior to new glass installation. Good luck and have fun! Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 01:30 am:

I took my frame to a glass shop and they cut the glass.

A friend of mine is a glazier by trade so he caulked in the glass using the same caulk they use on windows in skyscrapers.

Came out good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 01:36 am:

Rich, unless you are a stickler for originality, discarding the brass channel and having the new glass caulked into the frame is a sound way to go. It will prevent rattles, and keep water out of the frame, thus reducing the likelihood of continued rusting. Cleaning up the frame and re-painting it before the new glass is installed is sound advice too.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 08:52 am:

I'm with John. I let the local auto glass shop do it. Nice job. Not too expensive. And now I get to let them do it again!!... went to set the top glass back into the brackets and it sorta "dropped" down a bit hard on top of the bottom section, and the next day I noticed a small crack right in that lower corner. Dang! And it's growing....such is life. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 09:39 am:

On my 21 Touring I get a hammer and broke it out.

Just be careful about any glass shattering and flying everywhere. I didn't have to tap it real hard and it cracked in enough large pieces to take it out.

I used the original brass nickel plated channel.
When I removed the channel I got some polishing cloths from Ace Hardware and polished them. You will be really surprised how good the polished channels look.
I think it gives a really nice look to the windshield and really adds a nice detail to the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Magyor-Northwestern, Pa. on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

On my 20 Roadster the glass came out with a few good pulls. I was wearing heavy leather gloves which also helped to grip the glass better too. Since the glass came out in one piece the shop had a pattern to cut from. I installed the glass myself and it went in easily. The windshield glass seems to go in better for me if the channel is on the glass as it goes in instead of in the frame. Make sure the frame isn't bent or it will cause the new safety glass to crack.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration