Please Release Me!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Please Release Me!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 07:39 am:

What is the proper way of removing the keeper from the axle gear?

1925 Coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 07:51 am:

Are you installing new axle shafts in the rear axle?
The axle gears are usually only removed when the axle is unusable, so it's much easier to cut the axle a short distance from the gear - than you can put the short axle with gear in a press, press the gear further onto the axle until the keepers can be removed, then press out the old axle and the axle gear can be reused on the new axle shaft.

The new axle has to be properly supported when the axle gear is pressed on - I haven't had to do that yet, myself, so I'll let others give their input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 07:54 am:

So it's a press fit with the keeper rings used as a stop?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 07:58 am:

Yes. There's a key also that transmits the tremendous power :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 08:03 am:

Here's an earlier thread with some axle shaft photos: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/77953.html?1231423423

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 10:28 am:

To stabilize the axle and keep it from bending when pushing the gear on the axle I use a piece of 1-1/2" square tubing with 3/16" wall.
I don't have the length handy but it's just short of the length of the axle.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration