Is it a Briggs or a Beaudett?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Is it a Briggs or a Beaudett?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 10:28 am:

A post from Robert Blanchard states: So I figured the numbers and letter: B 007290 20. The B is for Beaudett and the last two numbers are year of production 1920. My T is registered as a 1920 but she has a 23 engine (Title has the 23 engine number. But it will be changed back to a 20 now that I have a 1919 block!).

If my research is correct, The Briggs body company used a similar numerical designation identifying body production.

I have a 1922 Coupe with a door sill marked B 21 3663.

From the data available, the Coupe body was manufactured for Ford by Walter O Briggs Manufacturing Company, Detroit Michigan (McCalley, 1994, 419-422). "Auto Industries" of 12 October 1922 stated that in 1922 , 'Rouge Plant Builds Most Ford Bodies,' Ford Used various manufactures including the Beaudette Company, Pontiac, Michigan. The Beaudette Company, according to the 1922 article, built roadster bodies for Ford.

The Rouge plant in 1922 was building the phaeton and two-door sedans. The phaeton bodies are built in numbers of 3015 daily (in 1922), with an average of 2650 daily. Sedan bodies are manufactured at 900 daily. Bodies for Coupes and a new four door sedan are manufactured by the Briggs Company and not by Ford. These two styles are low production (1922) cars averaging 5000 daily.(from "Auto Industries")

As with Mr. Blanchard, the body on my 1922 Coupe was manufactured per contract for Ford by Briggs in 1921, and put in to production 1922. For reference the car has a production number of 6,071,252 (June 3, 1922).

Of the owners of other 1922 Coupes, what are your door sill numbers? Do they have a B as the first letter in a "production" number?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Sounds like a question for Hap, he has collected a lot of body numbers over the years - but you may have to message him directly, since he hasn't got time to read all posts every day (who has, really? :-) )

The 1922 model year was from august '21 to september 1922. The Coupe was modified for '22 to now have the latch-type window raisers. In addition, the previously exposed window and door sills were now covered with metal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 11:12 am:

Hello George... you can call me Robert, Mr. Blanchard is my dad :-)

I figured from Haps post and the way the numbers were stamped "B" in the beginning and "20" year at the end, that my touring was built by Beaudett, since it matched the other cars discussed in the thread.

Looks like your serial number also had the "B" at the beginning but it was followed by what looks like the year "21"

I know you are looking at Briggs, but would you know or have info on which car bodies Beaudett built? obviously they build the touring and roadster ( the roadster was pictured in Haps thread) but I don't know if they also built the hardtops...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 11:35 am:

Robert
The information I have is from the "Auto Industries" for 1922, describing the Beaudette Company building roadster bodies for Ford. For 1922 the article indicates the open touring (the phaeton) was manufactured by the Ford Rouge. As you car is a 1920, I would have to say I do not have an answer to the question.

As the records at Ford for the 1920's are lost a new data base for the cars manufactured and delivered for the 1920's is needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 11:40 am:

Thanks George... did you contact Hap?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 11:51 am:

No. I am patient, I am certain he will see the post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

Then its bumping time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

Here's some information on Briggs"
http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/b/briggs/briggs.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

George, I have a 1922 coupe with Briggs body number B261740. It has engine # 64071**, built on August 16, 1922. Very late 1922 model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Jim

Thank you. If your Briggs Coupe # begins with B26#### then the premise that the letter B (Briggs) and the first two digits indicate a year of manufacture for the Coupe body is not to valid.

I still would like to hear from others that own a 1922 Coupe and their body number if available. There still may be a sequence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 10:48 am:

If there are other 1922 Coupe owners, please post the body number found on the passenger side door sill. Thank you

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration