What is the right hot air pipe for a 16?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What is the right hot air pipe for a 16?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

Does anyone have a picture of the correct hot air pipe for a 16? I would like to get the right one but I don't know what is the right one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 09:24 am:

The air pipe from about 1914 - 1920 is stamped steel and looks like this:

It rides under the seat, as it has no use in normal T driving with today's gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 10:29 am:

thanks Royce is there a piece missing? what holds it on? and yes Royce car runs fine I would just like to find one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 10:37 am:

I sent you a PM. The manifold clamp sits on the flat, the worn spot in Royce's first photo. Nothing missing in the photos. That's how they are made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

My 15 - 21 parts book #4582 is a cast iron hot air pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 11:34 pm:

Royce, with your aviation background, you should know that your statement is a big load of Barbara Streisand. Carb icing is very possible in Model Ts driven under normal conditions. I have experienced it a few times in my Model T, but not since I put the hot air pipe back on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 12:18 am:

My parts book dated Feb. 1, 1916 shows PN 4582 Hot Air Pipe as stamped steel:

And yes, given the necessary humidity and temperature conditions the intake manifold WILL ice over and the car WILL run like CRAP. Been there, done that. Here is the tee shirt:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 01:18 am:

Take a quick look at Lang's catalog at part number 4582

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 03:37 am:

Been there too Bill. It just depends on the weather conditions. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 09:56 am:

The one Royce posted is correct. The parts book illustration was only used until early '13.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Parts book illustrations commonly use old pictures for a time well beyond the model year of the parts book. I think this is simply because those picture plates were not as easy to produce as are modern pictures and they required printing plates to be made to place them in parts books. The purpose of the picture was simply to help the car owner identify the part in question in a general way and they were not meant to be an exact detailed source but rather just a guide to form, function, and fit so that the buyer of the replacement part didn't get a transmission cover plate (3382) or some other part by mistake. It is dangerous to assume that the picture is an exact correct part that should be on a given T.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration