Having a late Christmas

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Having a late Christmas
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 10:12 am:

For nearly a year I have put up with a gimpy left leg from a minor stroke.
Doing simple mechanical jobs that required working from a creeper are a pain to the point my Ts were going up for sale and my modern cars would have to go to the professional shop at ninety dollars an hour for any work under them. My old friend Toyota with 230K miles needs a clutch book says seven hours plus parts in a shop. A nice two post nine thousand pound lift solving working off a creeper cost fifteen hundred. My math says buy the lift and fix the clutch. Half its cost will be paid on its first use so I bit the bullet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Paul you do know that a %T will also fit on your new lift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 12:23 pm:

One T on top and one T under is the idea. Modern cars will sleep in the garage without heat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

If you put one T on the top, be sure to cover the bottom one with something which will not allow oil to drip onto it.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

Paul I hope you got a lift with "extra heighth", mine won't allow a T under it fully raised. So I put either the utility trailer or the '94 T-bird under it with the Model A stacked on top. At any rate, that lift was the best $$ I ever spent. Well, other than the barn, and the 4 T's!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

Thanks for the info Tim! The posts are nine foot two inches with a maximum ceiling of twelve foot in my shop it should work OK even if the top on my touring is lowered.
The setup weighs 1400 pounds, my tractor will easily pick up the weight but I am currently on my second beer with help coming tomorrow to up right six hundred pound posts. Cant do what I used to do LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

So how do you propose to life your t on a 2 post hoist?

just askin,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 03:59 am:

The unit has a three horse hydraulic pump, you drive between the posts swing four supports into place to support the car frame and let the pump do the work with a system of chains and cables. Instructions say 60 seconds to fully lift.

A friend has a similar setup with the Snap On brand I tried to use before buying my own if I had waited two weeks for him to clear out his own cars. I have a hunch some of my kids are going to be told no to its use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 07:19 am:

Paul, make sure the floor of your garage is strong enough to hold the weight of the lift and your Toyota truck. I have a 9000 lb 2 post lift, and the cement is 8 inches thick with rebar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 09:27 am:

That one bothers me Ed. Specs say four inches of 3000 pound is enough. I have four inches of 3500 pound with glass reinforcement as I remember. I doubt any thing lifted will hit 9000 pounds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 08:03 am:

Paul,

Some have a cross bar at the top you need to consider. Also, that price may not include installation. You need to anchor it to a concrete floor capable of supporting it!

That said, I wish I had a lift like that. I considered doing that in my car bay when I built the shop, but it would have required specially designed roof trusses over the lift and loss of loft storage space.

I know of a fellow who put two four post lifts in his garage. When not working on his cars on the lift he found he could store twice the number of cars. So owning a lift like that may just cost the $1500 plus the cost of installation and the next model T!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 08:48 am:

Terry, these lifts are easy to install yourself. Just follow the directions carefully and it'll go easy. Takes two guys. Does help to have at least a medium size tractor with a front bucket to move the "tracks" or whatever you call the part the car sits on! (I forget--damn lame brain!)...mine were super heavy. Anyway, took us two guys a little over 4 hours to do the whole thing. 4-poster BTW. I love it, except I should've sprung for the slightly taller lift height in order to get a T underneath it when full up. No matter, I work around it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 12:16 am:

So,being in the automotive service business for nearly 30 years I can offer some sage advise on 2 post hoists.

1st), There is a certification agency to certify the quality and performance of the hoist. I can assure you any hoist from off shore IS NOT certified. that is why they cost far less than a quality US manufactured hoist.

Now you say well its just on my hobby shop, what's the big deal?

The deal is the cables , hydraulics, steel and welds are not up to normal safety standards. I have seen these off shore cheapies fail with cars on them and people working under. Yes they have drop locks but try and lift a car once it's dropped down on the locks.

2nd) Seems these off shore guys only speak English when you are paying. If there is an issue they don't speeka da English. Parts are nearly non existant and usually if they will order for you have to come from the orient and they don't come quickly.

You also need to check with your insurance carrier both building and car insurance carrier. If you install it your self you may not have coverage if there is a failure. If its not certified the same may apply.

The price should not be the reason to buy one brand of hoist over another. You have no idea ghow much the flexing is when a vehicle is raised to the top of the lift. I have seen the Korean and Chinese units crack at the welds on the floor plate because of this flexing. More than once I might add. I know of one installation where the welds broke, and when they tried to repair by welding the steel was of such poor quality it was not able to be rewelded.

If you are raising your prize possession and plan on standing under while doing service, let it not be an off shore cheapie than just may drop in your head. I'd hate to see your car destroyed, it will fetch less at the auction.

been there done that, got wise and bought the best,

brasscarguy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration