Suggestions for starting dry motor after repaint.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Suggestions for starting dry motor after repaint.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

While I had this 26/27 engine down and apart for repaint, the motor oil was out of it for about 6 months. I've got it al back together and want to drop it in my frame, make some temporary electrical and gas connections to make sure it's a runner before I move forward on frame and chassis.
I'll fill with oil and it it acts like it wants to kick over, I'll hook up a readiator. But should it do anything special to make sure the proper parts are oil prior to the first few cranks?

Some light oil or Marvel Mystery oil in the spark plug holes and let it penetrate? Just fill the oil and crank away? Prime the fuel system somehow, or just gravity feed?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes, I know I don't know aything. I've been told already, so just skip that part. And, I've look in the book already.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 01:59 pm:

Robert,

I would just put the oil in and crank the engine around several turns without the ignition on to splash some oil around inside. A squirt of oil in each cylinder, as you suggest, wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Gravity feeding the gas should be o.k. Maybe from an lawn mower tank or similar, suspended above the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

Robert,

If you do the initial cranking to distribute the oil, as I suggest above, you could do it with the spark plugs removed to make it easier to spin and therefore throw around more oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

Should I hand crank it a while, or hit the starter to splash more oil? I would pull the plugs so no compression but I didn't want to just jump on the starter it it was a tight engine until the oil gets around.

On my other restoration, my rebuilder on the engine suggested running a little Marvel Mystery oil in the actual gas for the first few tanks. A little smoke was worth making sure everything got lubricated. Overkill?

Got the engine back in the frame this afternoon. All it took was a rachet strap on the frame running North and a rachet strap on the engine block running South and it all fell into place!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 06:35 pm:

The same engine parts rotate when you turn the crank or hit the starter. I would use the hand crank to rotate it the first couple of times if it were mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

Robert,

Some people like Marvel Mystery Oil. I put it in my gas tank some years ago and had lots of trouble from it so I can't personally recommend that.

As Dennis says, you could begin by hand cranking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 11:29 pm:

Robert, like Jerry says, a squirt of oil in each cylinder should make a world of difference. Regular motor oil will be just fine.
Keep us posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 09:50 am:

If you originally poured all of the new oil in through the transmission cover, it might be a good idea to open the top petcock, put a clean container under it, and pour another quart of oil into the oil fill at the front of the engine to make sure that the pan dipper troughs have oil in them before startup. Let the excess oil drain out via the upper petcock, then close it before you start the engine! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 11:01 am:

Thinking u used white grease on your connecting rods and the wrist pins, the 4 qt's poured in the transmission on the bands, squirt a shot of oil in the spark plug holes, spin the engine by the crank a few times and it is ready to start

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

There is a tradition that the first start of a rebuilt engine must be hand crank started!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

Well you got your traditions and I got mine. And mine don't include a trip to the ER, so I will just have to explore the possibility.

I have not added any oil to this engine yet. I was waiting to see how the forum responded before I started trying to start.

Do I add it all through the transmission cover and some through the oil filler at the front of the generator? Or do I pour it all in through the generator as I was planning on doing?

Also, on the brass petcocks. Do you use teflon tape or any sort of goop to seal the threads. I was thinking of the same permagasket black that I used on the gaskets to just coat the threads. They seem to want to tighten down out of position straight up and down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

If the transmission bands have never been soaked with oil, I would slowly pour three quarts over the bands to soak them, then put the transmission cover on and pour the fourth quart in the oil filler in front.

A few turns of teflon tape on the petcock threads will help seal them and allow them to tighten with the arms to the side. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

Thanks, Mark. My weekend project is getting the gas tank and fuel connections and electricla connections hooked up and ready for a test fire next week.

Fingers crossed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 08:25 pm:

I just said it was a tradition, maybe it was started by a doctor's consortium??
:-)
Of course, if you have a pre-starter car, ya don't got much choice! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration