I got the shaft...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I got the shaft...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

Question on installing the Fun Projects pinion bearing kit onto a new drive shaft from Lang's.

Should the cone bearing ahead of the gear slide on or be somewhat of a press fit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

By "somewhat", I assume you mean it won't just slide on by hand, but is a light press fit?

I recently installed John's non-adjustable kit during my Ruckstell rebuild. As I recall, roller bearing race was a LIGHT press fit on the drive shaft. I took this as a good thing, since the directions say:

"It is normal for the roller bearing cone end to be tighter on the shaft than the brass sleeve end. The pinion gear MUST PULL the cone bearing into final postion for proper fit."

If you still have doubts, give John a call at the number listed on his web site, he was very patient and helpful to me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

Thanks Mark. I am waiting for John to return my call.

The reason I am asking is because how can the pinion gear pull the bearing into place if the bearing has no resistance on the shaft?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 11:45 pm:

John may be a little slow to return calls this week. He has been sighted at the Chickasha, OK swap meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Spoke to John this afternoon about this issue. He and Don Lang recently discovered that the diameter of the current stock of new drive shafts are slightly undersized. Therefore the Fun Projects pinion bearing kit can not be installed correctly. John is working to get the diameter issue resolved.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration