TT Rear Springs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: TT Rear Springs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

I was browsing Lang's online catalog and found Part 3824TT, 9 Leaf Spring Set, New, 1924-27.

I have always thought TT rear springs were the same from beginning of production in model year 1918 through end of production 1927 model year. Is this just a typo or are early truck rear springs somehow different than later springs? If they are different what's the difference?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

The only difference I've noticed between early and later TT rears spring sets is that the spring clip is riveted to the 5th spring on the early sets. The later clips have a heavy punch on the top of them which produces a protrusion on their underside. This protrusion, or knob, nestles in a hole on spring leaf No. 5 to keep the clip from moving.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 08:43 pm:

Rich - Thanks for your response. I didn't know there was any difference at all. Interesting is the fact that I have a 1918 TT and it has the later style clip arrangement. I sure do wish that ol' truck could talk and tell me who did what to it and when. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

My data is certainly not complete. I have a TT chassis with the shorter rear cross member, which I think was used 1917-19. Unfortunately no engine in the chassis to help confirm the year, however it has the Ford script on the front cross member, suggesting a 1919 or later. So this chassis should be a 1919. The rear springs have the riveted clip on both sides. Thank you for sharing the information on your early TT.

Rich C.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration