Wait, Model T's had a dust pan?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wait, Model T's had a dust pan?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 05:36 pm:

Learned something new today. I guess T's had dust pans originally? What's weird for me is of the dozens of T's I have seen in my life, not one has ever had dust pans on it. Did most people take them off back in the day and discard them or something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

I have them on both my '27 and my '13

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

Realistically I think it was a "splash pan" to keep the worst of the mud from the dirt roads from the engine!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

Yes, they came with pans from the factory although I don't recall ever seeing a Model T with the pans installed. Only in pictures have I seen them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

Conjecture on my part, but from what I've read in the past, just about everybody that ever worked on a Model T, whether garage mechanics or "backyard" mechanics, regarded splash pans as a unnecessary nuisance and discarded them the first time it was necessary to take them off to work on the car. I guess when you consider the fact that many, many mechanics have worked on any given surviving Model T which is now nearing (or over) a hundred years old, the chance of any one of those many mechanics throwing the splash pans away is pretty great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

Mine has them, but that's because the engine had never been out of the car, prior to a broken crankshaft in 2010. I mounted the oil can on one of them. I can't say I've seen them on anything but original cars.
pan1pan2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

My 24 still had them when it came here from N.D., full of North Dakota mud and gravel and terribly hard to scrape out. They now reside on my shop wall. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

I have the splash pans on my '26 roadster. I drive quite a bit on dirt and muddy roads. The splash pans really do work! No mud or rocks up into the engine area at all. They add about 20 minutes to an engine pull/install. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 06:26 pm:

I have them on all my cars. No back draft from the road to detour the air flow thru the radiator. JMO. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

They were intended to keep the dirt out but the unintended consequence was to keep the fire in. They trap oil and gas only to be lit off by a backfire, much more common then than now. The subsequent fire was hard or impossible to get put out in days before good extinguishers. If you have engine pans be sure to keep them clean. A quality extinguisher stored in a handy place was/is a necessary item not just a option.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

My '14 touring and my '24 coupe came to me with engine pans. The other cars came without them, but have them now. Henry Ford put nothing on the car which did not need to be there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

Could someone post a picture of an uninstalled pan? I would really like to see what they look like.

Thanks!

Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

My '24 Touring had them when I bought it, and I kept them. On a tour a year or two later, I commented to Harold Bowden (more or less "Mr. Model T" in the St. Louis area for years) that I had an oil leak and was concerned about the fact that the oil was puddling on the engine pans. His response was, "Take them out. Then the oil will drip onto the ground, you won't see it, and you won't worry." Seemed like good advice to me. They're in the garage somewhere... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

You can see pictures of pans for 1919 to 1927 here:

https://www.modeltford.com/i/c/1418962l.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

Thanks!

Now the installed pictures make sense.

Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

My 1970's put-together 1915 roadster has them. I have a spare set that will go on the 1923 touring when I get a Round Tuit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

I will challenge Layden's comments a bit
1. They have a drain hole in the middle of a depression under the carb
2. They don't fit tight to the engine. They attach to the engine with a couple of "tabs" plenty of room for the oil to drip away.
3. Assuming you still have the carb inlet "stove" on, any backfire will exit by the exhaust manifold, a long way from the engine pan. And I haven't had a backfire in ages anyway. I also run air cleaners (which I highly recommend)
To me the pans are just part of a properly restored car. Your opinion may differ!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Would Henry have used them if not needed?? If you have oil, gas, water, and dirt building in your pans it's time to get off your butt and clean up your act!! Bud in Wheeler Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Thanks guys. It just seems to me like a lot of guys back when must have taken them off and discarded them since I have been around T's since birth and NEVER saw a pair on any of them. Learn something new every day :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 11:42 pm:

I have them on all my T's. Keeps the engine a lot cleaner, keeps water from the front wheels from putting the fire out when driving in the rain or through rivers.

Here I am driving through a river in the rain:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Snyder on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 12:05 am:

found these in the pile of parts . I was wondering what they were .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 12:31 am:

Mike, You you you have seen them in all of mine .??? Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 08:36 am:

My '19 Runabout has them. I left them off for a while after I re installed the engine but felt the car looked too incomplete without the them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 11:07 am:

My '14 has them. Kinda pain in the a** when working on the Carb, but I will keep them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 11:46 am:

My 25 roadster pick up has them. I thought they were also part of the cooling process. Helped to direct the fan wash out of the engine compartment along with the hood louvers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 11:56 am:

I took them off the wife's 23' because I was told they block air flow and the car will tend to overheat.

I'm a little older and wiser and believe that a car with a good radiator will NOT overheat whether the pans are installed or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

I use my pans to hold my wrenches when taking off the carburetor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

I only have them on one of my cars, the 1925. They only used that style in 1925-26. I've never done a study on them, but I would say they changed the style of them at least every two to three years. And to make things worse, there are reproductions around that were never made by Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

My 1913 even has the pans on the transmission. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

My 19 has had dust pans since new and still has them. Their have been discussions about them being helpful for cooling, keeping the motor clean and collecting parts that fall off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 06:57 am:

I had them on my 1913. I stopped once and found my brass oil filler cap (Click and Clack used to call it a 710 cap) sitting on the splash shield.

I don't know if I left the cap there or if it fell off the engine. I did solve that problem, however; I got a 1927 car with a steel cap and left the shields off. I have never found a brass cap on my engine shields since.

I believe there were slight changes to the shield design over the 18 year production run.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 12:27 am:

My barn fresh 1912 touring has the original side pans. There is a hole under the carb depression. Interesting mine were bolted to the frame with very small square headed bolts The engine side had a lip running the length of the crankcase and there are notches every couple of pan bolts to slip in and around the pan bolts to hold it in place.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

When I saw dust pan I was thinking of one of the shield under the pedals. :-) It's shaped like a dust pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

I have them on my 27 and am put on my 26 roadster p/u this summer. I also have them on my model A s. They do a good job keeping the engine area. They also finish the look under the hood.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration