An easy fix, but—I dunno, kinda odd.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: An easy fix, but—I dunno, kinda odd.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 06:42 pm:

Toward the end of last season, my '15 developed about an inch of play in the steering wheel and I procrastinated the fix until after winter. _So okay; today I grabbed a flashlight and some tools and headed for the garage, figuring something under the car would need to be taken apart and re-bushed or something. _But no; the play turned out to be caused by nothing more than a loose steering case cap.

The odd thing, though, was that the set-screw was perfectly snug in the little notch which had been cut at the point where the cap had previously been quite tight. _Now I was able to tighten the cap an additional quarter-turn and I can't figure out why. _Odd, right? _Well, there seemed nothing else to do but cut another notch in the casing for the set-screw after checking the condition of the little planetary gears (which were okay).

There's no play in the steering wheel now, and everything in the system seems nice and tight, but—I dunno—I just don't like things in the steering what ain't got no explanation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

Sometimes you're the pigeon, sometimes you're the statue. Today, you're the pigeon!! Nice that you got an easy fix. Seldom works that way.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration