What did you do to your T today MARCH Part 2

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What did you do to your T today MARCH Part 2
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 02:13 am:

Martin Vowell and I helped Derrick with his magneto. Pulled trans, found bad thimble and bent screw,Painted Mag.Ring, adjusted third Main,painted engine pan inside and out, painted hogs head. Productive day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 02:19 am:

Did my fair share and documentation too

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 06:16 am:

Nice work guys. Always good for new guys to have guidance.

I cleaned and primed the engine block for my two cylinder project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 09:36 am:

We continued to undress the chassis of unnecessary parts. She's almost naked!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 10:51 am:

Pulled the 2 front wheels to mount new 30X3 Firestone tires on my '14 T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 03:08 pm:

Chis,
This is a family-friendly forum, careful what you photograph and report!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer -- Saginaw, MI on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 11:40 pm:

These are TT door handles cast in aluminum with a steel shank. The steel ends still have to be shortened. They are larger for casting purposes so they stay centered better in the mold.

Some of the other TT handles being reproduced now have been cast in all aluminum, shanks and all causing a problem with twist offs when turned to open the door so some have ask if these could be offered again.

Originally the outside TT handles were cast in pot metal or zinc die cast and with a steel shank also. However, with time they start to look like one shown at the top. The inside door handle was cast iron. Since pot metals won't hold a polish they were painted black as were the inside iron ones.

In the past I offered the outside handles polished or powder coated black. The inside ones have been sold either way too. Seems I sell most as polished over the black but black was the original way they were offered by Ford.

This original inside handle being shown must of been doubled broached since the ones I have seen in the past only had a single square opening as the bottom ones were done.

I also started to reproduce the outside door handles used on 22 coupe and center door cars. The were originally cast in aluminum and look like the truck's from the outside but the inside shank is machined different then the truck's.

I think Langs may plan to carry them since I'm not that good at sales. Bob

tt truck door handles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron frazer on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 09:46 am:

Bob what do you have as a price on your TT inside door handles. I need a good set to help finish my TT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 10:23 am:

George from LA,

I just saw, you painted your coil ring without rebuilding it.
I am not willing to start a discussion here but as the engine is open, it should be a great thing to replace or rebuild also your coil ring.
The damage it will make when it comes apart will be much more expensive as a rebuild coil ring.

Just my opinion.
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

What did I do on my Model T today?

Why put a machine gun on it, of course.

WWI Light Patrol Vehicle being created. Just wanted to see what a good balance point would be for reinforcement to the frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 01:53 pm:

Might be handy if someone wants to steal iron or copper or whatever from your shop. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

Making progress. Just got the rear end under the car and I'm waiting for some warm weather so I can paint.23 Touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

Michael,
Is that the Emperor's new bodied touring car??
Looks great, wish mine were at that stage!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

The emperor has no clothes on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

Just got my OF Stromberg back from Stan after working his magic on it. Needless to say, it is beautiful, although I had him not polish it, that just wouldn't look right on my old "beater" '25 coupe. Thanks Stan!!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart. Bakersfield, Calif. on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 07:08 am:

Spring time oil change. Radiator flushing. And wind shield cleaning. After all of these years changing the oil in my Model T's I still haven't found where the oil filter is located.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

OT OT OT Painted a Harley wheel. Sometimes the bike bug gets past the Model T bugs and bites me. Tractor paint with a brush.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

After my engine pan debacle I finally got to the fun stuff!

First on the list were the seat belts...

I drilled the brackets painted, let them dry and bolted them into the T.

I still need to run a cable from the lower bracket to tie it to the frame... Bit I'll do that when I get back from my trip.

Next, putting a tool box back on the running board. Sanded it then painted. Put a few layers of paint and now it is back where it belongs.

Here is where I placed my fire extinguisher... only issue I see is that no one outside of my family will know where it is. But I will place a magnetic sticker telling anyone where it is located when I travel longer distances...

Then two accessories that I have been looking for... finally found one on MTFCA (spare wheel holder) and the other on eBay, The 'Foldable luggage rack holder" I cleaned it up (took some doing) and now back on the running board. It is the the type that folds down and 'dissapears'. I love this accessory!

All I need now is a spare demountable wheel!

Here is the luggage rack up (a bit hard to see)

Lastly, safety! new brake light switch, new brake light brackets and rewired everything... now when I break, everyone should see me!

I ran the black cotton wires up the top saddle then into the seat down into the rear seat tool area... Took a bit of doing but a wire hanger with edges tapped up and snaked inside the seat resolved that issue! Looks really nice and neat now.

Well that is it!

Next on the list: New radiator, and replace the crankshaft pulley.

Please excuse the pictures that are rotated, for some reason the sight keeps flipping the photos around

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Been thinking about trying one out for the past year or so, finally decided to pull the trigger. I must say the performance gain is mighty imPRUSive :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

Fired the new motor up in the '22 touring car tonight. I waited three long years for today. Suddenly all seems right with the world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 08:32 am:

Made some new knurled nuts for the brass top coils...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

Just finished two sets of metal top coils, had a great assistant.

As I like the brass looking I didn't paint the top.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

Finished Derrick Pang's horn today, sounds loud too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 10:01 am:

Picked up my four new "Johnson Wood Wheels" for my 1915 Runabout at Chickasha. I supplied the clean hubs, clamp plates, new rims, bolts and splice plates.
This is my first set of rebuilt Model T wood wheels and I was very impressed with Steve Johnson's detail and workmanship.
Off to the painter next week.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 10:55 am:

Whoa - nice wheels, Ron !!!

Did you guys treat my friend Rich to an adventure down to Chickasha & back ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 11:14 am:

Steve
I strongly recommend Johnson Wood Wheels.
Can you imagine poor Rich being trapped in a vehicle travelling to Chickasha while John Regan and I argue?
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

No - that was the reason for my query !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

Yesterday I pulled my one year old leaking radiator off of my '27 Touring. I was not a happy camper to buy a new radiator and have it start leaking after one year. It leaks where the overflow tube exits the bottom of the top tank. Not wanting to create more leaks by heating it and knowing that a Model T radiator isn't under pressure I sealed around the overflow tube with high heat RV gasket silicone after cleaning the area very well with reducer. I then painted the area so it is not visible. While I had the apart I decided to check the fan blade for any stress cracks so I striped off the paint and it looks good. I repainted the fan blade and hope to get it all back together tomorrow and do a test run for leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

My 1918 TT chassis had some very mangled running board brackets when I acquired it. Pictured are the before and after metal work on the front brackets. I couldn't get one of the straps straightened, so I fabricated a new one.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 01:40 am:

You guys do great!
All I did was drive mine out of its little wooden shed and did some pollution testing with it..... Twas a successful test! Back and forth. Back and forth.
I left a cloud.
The old lady used it (and me) to move some of the kids' stuff out of the closets in the house to her new plastic shed. I drove (drived?)....

Then I asked for a blanket to cover some of it up as it'll get cool here tonight as I didn't dump the water.
She had one (it was in the trash can already), we dived and now I have a blanket (stuck with it) to keep it warmer on cool nights...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 01:09 am:

Not my T. I went over to Dieter Mitchell's place to help him work on a TT that belongs to our neighbor David Rhoades.

It wasn't running very well, so I took along four Patterson coils. Those helped, but it still wasn't right. We came back to my place and got a rebuilt NH, and put that on the TT in place of the L-4 that was on it. That helped a lot, so Dieter got an NH body and bowl from me and will rebuild it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 02:17 am:

I have always wanted a rear entrance tonneau car, now I have one! I arrived home with a new project in my truck. Within an hour I had my "new" model T omnibus body unloaded into my garage. Thanks Kim Dobbins, I love this new toy and it would never be here without your generosity!!!!

Here it is in the truck this afternoon:

Omnibus broken down

Here we are in the garage this evening:

omnibus body home

Here it is in my imagination:

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 03:30 am:

ATA BOY Steve, you are a Wurlitzer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Henry - Werribee, Australia on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 04:57 am:

I've been working on the rear axle.

Was pulling the thrust pins out and was rushing things too much, broke the tap off flush with the pin. One of those times you know it's going to break but for some reason can't resist one extra turn. Came out easily after welding a bolt on.

Cobbled together a few pieces of tube and some bolts to get the axle sleeves out. It worked surprisingly well.

Getting access to a press has been holding things up, so I bought myself one. Pressed old gears on the new axle shafts.

Getting the transmission back together is not going well. I've tried 3 reverse drums that all looked good, they were all cracked once looked at closely. I think I will have to buy a new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

The weather was so nice I went for a drive, it is nice to have power poles along the road, it helps you know where to drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

The weather was so nice I also went for a ride..... very challenging at times with 30 mph wind gusts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 02:24 am:

While having a mounting bolt welded to my upper windshield frame, might as well repaint the stanchions right ?? One down.
Man that stanchion bolt next to the dash is a bugger(just being nice) to get to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 07:35 am:

More progress on front end. It's better to store the car parts right on the car.23 Touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 09:10 am:

Cars take up a lot less room when they are assembled! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration