A Self-Indulgent Self-Portrait

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A Self-Indulgent Self-Portrait
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 10:31 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 11:20 am:

Neat. Are you a watercolorist or did you find a program to morph a photograph?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 11:22 am:

Nice work! Is that Photoshop?
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 11:57 am:

Thomas. You can do that in Photoshop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Found an free online program from Tuxpi that does the photo to painting conversion and a lot of others. Great for us cheapskates (aren't most Model T folks?).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

Uh oh Rich Eagle, you have competition! :-)
(Ah no, your work is sooo much better!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 03:19 pm:

How do you see? I can't see your eyes. It looks like the hat is almost down to your mouth.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

The difference between a commercial artist (which I am) and a fine artist (which I'm not) is that the commercial artist is allowed to cheat and only the finished product counts—not how it got that way. _Yes, it's a morphed snapshot which was heavily massaged in Photoshop and a few other programs (I can't do it with just one program). _This will be one of the photographic gimmicks I hope to be making available this season to the Spectators and Funny Hats crowd in exchange for their donations to the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital charity.

As it's the pretty picture that counts and not the artist (because he can't really take much credit for it), I refer to these pictures as "art" instead of "paintings" and never sign them. _This is the original photo:

Here's another "faux-painting," this one, of my Cousin Barry:

It's important to start with a photo that has a lot of reflections, texture and light & color variations in the flat, sheet-metal areas. _The more eddies and swirls, the better.

Each of the make-believe paintings take about an hour and a half to manufacture and really do come out nice (for which I take no credit other than knowing how to use the dadgum computer programs).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

Oh. _And thank you, David. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

Photography and now these computer programs have left Art in the dust. Some pretty nice work can be done in a short time. Talent and Quality can be argued but are in the eye of the beholder. Many things are better, faster and relatively cheaper thanks to innovation and progress. Cars for example. Bottom line is if you don't have to make a living at it, make your choices and have fun doing it.
You do have a good eye for it Bob.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 12:14 am:

Here is what a photo looks like after passing it through Tuxpi:

painting

This was taken the day I brought it home in June 2003.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

self portrait

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration