Chickasha reports??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Chickasha reports??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 01:27 pm:

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything from Chickasha?? I didn't go this year, haven't seen any of the usual photos of great finds, big crowds, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

Tight. I got here law because of strafing late yesterday. Then running into an accident that took 2+ hours. Lots of questions but buying is down. Lucky for me had some presales.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 02:14 pm:

LOL, are you a victim of auto correct?! Did you mean late because of traffic? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 02:16 pm:

^^^^^^ Got started late then ran into traffic :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

Oh, I was thinking that speed laws might be enforced by aircraft, and they were strafing the road!
:-)
YOU VILL SLOW DOWN, YA?!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

The last time I was late because of strafing I near got kilt!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 03:01 pm:

I sold two Stromberg OF carbs and an RF. Also sold a Zenith T carb and a U&an intake today. Will post photos later. It has been a very good meet for me so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 03:47 pm:

ROYCE!!!! You had a U&J for sale and didn't let me know?????????? Mostly I need manifolds.

Got a phone call awhile ago from a guy who said he thought overall numbers of vendors and attendees was a little down but he sold enough to be happy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

I too had to miss the event---first time in 10 years--I don`t feel as bad knowing that Stan Howe also missed it--Hope the dinners at Jakes and Kens (in Amber) go on as usual! Some photos would be good---Thanks, Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

I too had to miss the event---first time in 10 years--I don`t feel as bad knowing that Stan Howe also missed it--Hope the dinners at Jakes and Kens (in Amber) go on as usual! Some photos would be good---Thanks, Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

If anybody has seen Dave Huson, please respond here. We really need to find him. We have heard he is here, but have looked all day to no avail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

I'm sure OUR HERO Steve Jelf will put some up, always does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 06:54 pm:

Dave Huson is here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

Chickasha is good, but way smaller than it has been in the past, and yes Dave Huson was here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 10:48 pm:

Chickasha hasn't really met my expectations this year. I expected that I'd still have enough stuff left on my trailer to make it worth hanging around until Friday afternoon. But, I had more buyers than lookers today. So, I'll slowly pack the remains in the morning and head home with nearly empty trailer, a fat wallet and the treasures that I found at the meet.

I thought there was a slim chance of finding a hub cap for my '08 Maxwell (mid year change that only showed up on later '08 cars) or a tail lamp bracket for my '15 T Runabout. Somehow, I found both. I also picked up a Simmons Super Power head. It wasn't cheap, but it is a very nice example of one of the best period speed flat heads. Well worth the price.

What has met my expectations, is the camaraderie. It's always nice to visit with so many nice people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 05:34 am:

Empty trailer and fat wallet to report here as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 07:55 am:

By 2 pm my pickup was full and my wallet was empty so I headed home.

I saw Steve but couldn't find Stan -now I know why.

The number of vendors seemed to be way down but I still found everything on my list except one or two items.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 08:17 am:

has anyone have a analogy as to why attendance/vendors is down ??? ie: mostly retired owners, expensive hobby on a fixed income, generation behind us with no interest ??? Just curious, your thoughts ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 08:42 am:

Here's one picture for you. Internet connections here are slooowwwwwwww, so I'll do the rest when I get home. I found some good stuff and had some nice visits with the usual suspects, and met some new folks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

Well, that took 5 minutes to download here, I'll bet your connection's faster than that. So, the 4dr is probably the better buy, but the barn fresh coupe would be my choice!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Nohava-Garretson, SD on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

It was my first time to Chickasha. I heard several talking about the low number of vendors, but to a new/young (33yo) person the experience was great. Came away with some nice parts for my 14, and a lot of information. Hopefully I can make it back next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

Here's the update that should make some folks very happy; next year's meet will be a Friday Saturday affair with setup on Thursday evening. No reason to race down on Wednesday.

I learned this news when I booked space FH6 for 2017.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

Yep, the flyer they were handing out for next year's meet says Friday and Saturday, March 17th & 18th, 2017. Works much better for me! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

The number of vendors seemed to be down; lots of empty spaces. The forecast for rain Friday probably kept some away. And for once, the weathermen were correct -- it rained Friday morning from before daylight until about 10:00 a.m. We went there Friday after the rain stopped, and most folks were packed up and gone.

BUT -- The weather Wed. and Thurs. was perfect! (Two out of three isn't bad.) It seemed to me that there was quite a bit of money changing hands, moreso than in the past few years. I even sold more than I bought, for the first time ever. So it was a successful meet from my point of view.

I set up with the usual suspects, John Steele, Uncle Jack, and Paul Mikeska. Actually Uncle Jack didn't bring anything to sell, he came just to enjoy the meet. But it was good having him there with us anyway. We missed Uncle Stan, but the upside of that is we didn't have to drive the 20 miles to Amber to eat BBQ. :-)

Got to see lots of folks I see only once a year, right there. That alone always makes the trip worthwhile. It's only about a 5-hour drive for me, so I go every year. It's always a great time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

I was a bit disappointed myself. I picked up a couple small parts I was after but not so lucky on big parts. Simply could not find them. I was there two years ago and I feel each year I go, the good parts are getting more spars being replaced with more rusty parts.
Once more I hear that the day to go is the day before. Which still upsets me driving so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Hope my tongue in cheek comments didn't make it sound like I was disappointed. I was happy to sell out the stuff that I didn't want and have the opportunity to trade some of the profits for rare items that I do want. That's the true essence of a swap meet.

Most of all, I enjoyed visiting with folks from all over the place. My boy and I especially enjoyed meeting a few Overland fans. One of them has been struggling with a brain tumor for the last year and a half. Part of his personal view of recovery included traveling from New York, to check out all the rusty parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

Hope my tongue in cheek comments didn't make it sound like I was disappointed. I was happy to sell out the stuff that I didn't want and have the opportunity to trade some of the profits for rare items that I do want. That's the true essence of a swap meet.

Most of all, I enjoyed visiting with folks from all over the place. My boy and I especially enjoyed meeting a few Overland fans. One of them has been struggling with a brain tumor for the last year and a half. Part of his personal view of recovery included traveling from New York, to check out all the rusty parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 12:06 am:

Got home an hour ago. The car is still packed. Very tired. My KRW stuff for model A is now gone so won't have to haul it around. Did fair on the new stuff, chatted with a lot of folks, and somehow the car is just as full. Bought a few things and noted horn prices are up. To many of the usual folks were gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 01:39 am:

I came back with an empty truck and a suitcase full of $20's, $50's, and $100's. (In my dreams.) OK, I came back with almost as much as I arrived in Chickasha with. I delivered the parts that I had presold commitments for, so I did have more cash than would fit in my billfold, but it wouldn't have made a dent in a briefcase, much less a suitcase.
Ah, Chickasha weather. What is Chickasha without strange weather? Thursday, it was supposed to rain, but was clear as a bell and my bald head and arms got a red burn. This morning, I woke at 6:30 AM to 71 degrees and clear skies. Two hours later, at 8:30, everyone was hearing or seeing lightning and thunder and the temperature had fallen to 51 degrees. At that time, it took only seconds for me to decide to head back for Texas and forget trying to sell anything else, today. I drove south of town on US 81 to OK 19. Before I arrived, that area had been hit by a hail storm, but it had moved on before I got there. The roadway, and ditches, were covered with pellets. When a vehicle would approach me and throw up pellets on the road, it sounded like I was driving behind a gravel truck without a tarp on his load.
BTW, if you ever go, and ask someone for road route advise; don't ask. Use your own judgement. Having never been able to drive North-South or visa versa through Fort Worth, Texas on I 35 without construction or heavy traffic, I relied on the advise of a fellow Texan who advised me it was clear sailing when he went through going to Chickasha. I won't embarrass him by giving his name, but I'll just say that it took me two and a half hours to drive from the north side (Texas Motor Speedway) to I20 on the south side, and another 30 minutes to drive from Fort Worth to Dallas on I 20 to catch I 45 to Houston. Never will I try to drive through Fort Worth, again. Besides, you know how much free advise is worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 10:44 am:

My only complaint is about the people whose negative comments about this show made me skeptical of going in the past...

I will be back next year, probably with a bigger trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 11:46 am:

I personally am not being negative in my posting. I enjoy going to the sale and normally come home with something. My only "continuing" complaint is the sales the day before the official opening. Yes, I guess I need to be standing there as the trailers arrive also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

To add statistics to my post, above, the distance from Texas Motor Speedway, north side of Fort Worth (actually Roanoke, Texas) to I 20 on the south side (Edgecliff, Texas) is 34 miles. Under maximum speed limit conditions, it should have taken 38 minutes to drive. Actual stop and creep driving time was 150 minutes (2 and a half hours). Anyone can do the math to see what my average speed was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 03:26 pm:

Chickasha is still the best swap meet. It was a little smaller this year. It was still good.
I had a part brought there and it was the only part I bought. I do have several barn full of T parts and I was not looking for much. I did have great time. THANK YOU CHICKASHA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

Every year for a few months before the event we're treated to uninformed speculation and wild rumors about alleged changes that are going to Ruin Everything. And every year said event goes on pretty much the same as it always has. Yes, it is smaller than it used to be. But it's still worth my going. Maybe I can get organized enough to take something to sell next time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

Hey David Dewey,
That '25 fordor you referenced was recently wholesaled THREE times. I bought it several months ago from a neighbor needing $$ for his sister"s dialysis. Took it to Ross Lilleker to get the engine running and check out the differential. Then sold it to him. He. In turn, took it to Chickasha and sold it to Model T Haven. The sheet metal is really good.

Terry, I left Friday at 10:45 and easily made it through Ft. Worth but endured stop/go traffic From construction from north of Temple through Salado. Bought a bunch of goodies enjoyed fellowship with the usual suspects and met Donnie Brown and Tony Bowker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

George, I left Chickasha, as I said, at 8:30 AM. I made one stop in Paul's Valley for gas before hitting I 35. I drove the maximum speed limit at all times; no more, no less. I got to the area of the Texas Motor Speedway at exactly 12 Noon and hit stop and crawl traffic. I couldn't have exited I 35W and taken a different route if I had an emergency as I was blocked in my lane. If my vehicle has suffered a mechanical problem, I'd just added to the traffic problem by being stopped in a traffic jam and making things worse. It was 2 PM when I finally made it to Seminary Drive, one exit before I 20. I saw road construction, not in the open lanes of traffic, but on both sides, and the traffic was so heavy that everyone's lack of speed certainly wasn't being caused by "rubber-necking" at the construction. Maybe it was just Noontime traffic although I hope everyone had a two hour lunch break or they'd better phoned their Boss to let him know that they were going to be late for work. Anyway, this only confirmed my thoughts that Fort Worth is impossible and I will never take that route again. Two years ago, George Clipner and I, encountered the same type of situation in evening rush hour traffic, but the delay wasn't near as long. I'm sure that he still remembers it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 06:54 pm:

Theres just too many people in Texas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 01:16 pm:

Too many in Fort Worth for their road infrastructure, anyway. George, understand that I'm not upset with you for your road information, although to say there's not road construction in Fort Worth, one would have had to driven through at midnight. Every time I've driven through Fort Worth on I 35 in the last 20 years, its been under construction. I'll just use my judgment in the future and avoid that city.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

my view on Chickasha meet this year and the past 5 years is that the number of vendors and buyers have been declining ...this year was extreme ! possibly 1/2 of the spaces were empty ...also very low foot traffic ...my sales were moderate and made the trip worth while , i also was able to make some purchases of items for my projects ...i do hope the change of schedule to include Saturday will allow more local and regional people to travel to the meet ...i have purchased spaces for next year and am optimistic and look forward to the event ...always an optimist ...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

Gene, I can't tell you how many of the long time vendors told me the same thing, and I was only there a few hours Thursday afternoon and didn't even set up on Friday morning due to the weather. Most of the vendors did as I did and started leaving, anyway, especially if they had a long distance to drive and limited time to do it in. I heard everything from: some are getting too old to make the trip; some just aren't selling enough to justify the trip; some have always wanted a weekend day, while others don't so they have more travel time back home. I guess its impossible to please everyone, but its a shame that the producers of the meet, haven't taken a poll of the vendors each of the last five years to try to figure out what is the best way to please the majority. This year, even the caterer in the building between the North and South buildings was absent, leaving the only food concession, a small limited menu trailer in the South building.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

They sold great burgers on the West side of the North Building.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration