1924/25 tail light

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1924/25 tail light
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Suttle on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

This is just more or less a musing, but I thought some of you might have an opinion.
My '25 coupe (10,909,666) is a one-family owned car and it has many, many original (never 'restored' or tampered with) features including original floor boards, lots of original paint underneath, original seat springs & batting, etc. etc.
It has 30 x 3 tires and rims. The spare carrier is also designed for those tires.
So, the question.
It has the older (1923-24) small round tail light and NOT the one used from '25 thru '27. Of more interest is there is nowhere to put that later tail light. All of the factory holes in the carrier are consistent with the earlier light.
The spare carrier shows no signs of ever having been removed from the car. All the original fasteners are there.
So, I surmise that the newer light and bracket were designed only for balloon tires and that the older light was used if the 30 x 3 tires were so equipped.
None of the books seem to address this.
Anybody want to chime in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

Not so. Check you spare tire carrier. If I has two notches on the top, then it was designed for the new style taillight and license plate assembly. It will be bolted between those two notches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menteer on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

Hi Steve, could you please send a picture of spare and tail light? I have a 24 coupe that I am trying to make correct. thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Suttle on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 12:06 am:

Well, be that as it may be, there are three holes in the cross member - one round one for the lamp and two elongated ones for the license plate.
The two holes in the 26-27 assembly that would attach it to the fender bracket do not line up with any of those three holes. Hence my confusion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 01:35 am:

Steve,
The 1924-27 tail light/license plate mount assembly attaches with two 1/4" bolts through the left elongated slot that would have been for the license plate. That cross bar has a hole in the top to guide the tail light wire down. Center the light over that hole.
It looks a little odd, but in !924-25 when this carrier was used, Ford could still sell it to service the earlier cars that used 30X3-1/2 demountable wheels and the small round tail light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Suttle on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 09:55 am:

Okay. Now that makes sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

Earlier post on tail lamp mounted on carrier

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/503468.html?1419308738

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

This photo shows the 1924-25 tire carrier for 30X3-1/2 tires. Note the two notches, and the hole in the top rail that guides the tail light wire when using the 1924-27 tail light assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 10:09 am:

The two notches were added to the rail to give it added strength for the taillight assembly. Great photos Jim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Suttle on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

Now, all of this having been said, I see no evidence that this particular car had the later assembly. When I got it an obviously original and weathered smaller light was on it and no signs of anything else every being attached to it. This car had been in the same family since new and never restored or even refurbished until 2010.
Is it possible - just possible - that this is one of those transitional anomalies where old parts were used up? I know the car was assembled in one of the Texas branches.
I put a newer repro lamp on it to get the stop/tail light advantage, but I do have the tail light that came on the car when I bought it and it's not a repro part.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration