Chickasha Day One photos

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Chickasha Day One photos
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

I was selling parts until 6:30 PM on Day zero so I did not have any time for posting yesterday. Just pooped after loading, driving here, unloading, and then dealing with a happy mob for a few hours.

Today started out gloomy but cleared off later.

Today the buyers again were a constant stream, and they came with lots of cash. The morning went by in a blur.

Meanwhile less than half the indoor spaces were sold. Vendors were sparse.

Mel Draper was in his regular spot, and had a lot of customers.

A nice '30 Sport Coupe was offered at $19K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

Nice key board offered for a big price:

Another good looking Model A. I did not see the price.

'24 touring was a decent driver quality older restoration.

'01 Stanley was really neat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

I wish I had room for this big axle work station:

'31 Model A fruit wagon fun:

Cooker Tire employees had few customers:

Really nice '26 roadster was for sale in the same spot as last year:

A baby hit and miss engine painted baby blue:

Things looked slow over at Wallace Wade Tires:

A TT chassis in decent shape was offered at $3500. Seemed fair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

Thanks Royce!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

Thank's for the pictures!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Thanks Royce!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

The first time I went, which I think was in '07, there were vendors from the west fence all the way to the east parking lot, around both sides of the buildings including the horse barns and every space inside was sold out. Looks a lot smaller this year. Looks like some cool stuff, tho.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

We had a great time today and found a few bargains. I made a concerted effort to meet as many forum celebrities as I could and was able to meet and greet with several. There were some empty spaces in the buildings, but all in all, there was a wide assortment of T parts. This was my first time at Chickasha, but "I'll be back!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Thanks for posting Royce !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

Royce - what was the price on the Ford keyboard ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

The red 31 Model A Pickup , I was told, sold for $30,000 it had the wide bed and A/C and the guy said it didn't bog the engine down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Steve he was asking $795 I believe. It was an excellent original with two of each key except a couple singles.

The first time I went to Chickasha was around 1981 I think - me and Charley Shaver were trying to remember what year was the first one for the spring HCCA meet. It was kinda small that first year, but a lot of big rare brass cars were there. It is a shadow of what it was at its peak around 1990.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

thanks for the great pics Royce, seemed like a pretty small crowd of both buyers & sellers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

I got a pair of 26-27 front fenders,
3 zeneth carbs & parts carbs.
miscellaneous 1$ items,
Dual plug T head.
a new high radiator.
2 Atwater Kent Distributor caps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

There were a lot of empty space, probably 25% empty, but the buyers were serious, sold lots of stuff, small bits and larger such as radiators.
Good to meet lots of T friends. More tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 11:47 pm:

Dean, stop by to see me tomorrow morning, I've got a Zenith parts carb that you can have for free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 01:03 am:

Thanks for the pictures Royce.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 01:28 am:

Royce, thanks for posting the pictures. The first time I was there was in the early 90's...very different the last 3 times I was there. The first time the rest room was a horse stall. The only covered area was like a chicken coop with open sides/chicken wire.

Tony Bowker....have lots of fun and hope you sell lots of "Stuff". Need to create a little room for my new head....thanks for picking it up for me.

Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 01:39 am:

Royce, Thanks for the great photos and especially for listing some prices

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 03:09 am:

Royce, thanks for keeping those of us that couldn't make it posted. It's always good to see pictures of what I'm missing.:-( Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 05:14 am:

Royce,

Thanks so much for the update! Wish I was closer.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 05:19 am:

I have heard the complaints, but as a first timer here I thought it was incredible. I brought a heaping 16' trailer load, and turned a big pile of parts I didn't need into a big pile of cash I can use for my projects.

I'm not going to miss another one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 05:23 am:

I have heard the complaints, but as a first timer here I thought it was incredible. I brought a heaping 16' trailer load, and turned a big pile of parts I didn't need into a big pile of cash I can use for my projects.

I'm not going to miss another one.

We are leaving early, but only because we don't have enough parts left to bother with staying another day. We're going to hit the road early and spend the afternoon at Speedy Bill's Museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

Does anybody have more photos of the Stanley they could post?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 10:48 pm:

Walter. The Stanley was across the isle from my space. The only part of the car that "may have been" original was the engine. The frame was arc welded from round rod and flat bar. The axles were also home made. The body was also a very amateur built body. I very seldom knock some ones build, but it was being presented as an original car. :-(:-( for lots of $$$$$$$$$$$

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 08:38 am:

Agree with Donnie - the Stanley was mostly made with non - Stanley hardware store bought parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 09:55 am:

Thanks for the descriptions, Donny and Royce. That's sort of what I expected based on the posted photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 10:09 am:

Thanks, Royce. It's the next best thing to being there if you couldn't have gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

Yes, Thank You for all of the pictures and descriptions. Chickasha is on my bucket list.

As to the "Stanley":
I have been enamored with steam power from an early age, and I suspect that many others here are as well. I would love to own a steam car but my pockets are not that deep. A steam car such as this "Stanley" does offer the opportunity for the less affluent to experience the steam experience. I would only hope that the seller is honest about what the car is and, more importantly, what it is NOT.
There are more than a few reproduction, clone, "tribute" steam cars around and, for the majority of them, are represented as what they are: a period correct steam engine, perhaps with other period correct bits and pieces and the rest of modern construction but trying to achieve the look and feel of a "real" steam car.

In a sense, not unlike those of you trying to create a 1920's speedster in 2016. Just sayin'. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 06:38 pm:

Thanks for the great pictures. I likkkke the 30 sport coupe and the 24 touring. I couldn't go this year due to my job. I plan to use scheduled vacation days to go next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 07:46 pm:

Bill, I agree about the tribute cars, or use what you have type of builds. The thing that bothered me was the way the car was being presented. It was being sold as a 1901 or 1904 (I do not remember) and the asking price was 40,000 (no that is not a typo). and the workmanship was very amateur at best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

Hi Donnie,

Well, yes, that ain't honest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 11:23 am:

Another satisfied passenger on the "K Livery" at Chickasha:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 11:31 am:

The "24" touring you posted the photo of is really a '25. The owner thinks it's a '23. I don't see how some people can be so unaware of what they own! It is a very nice original car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 11:40 am:

The "24" touring you posted the photo of is really a '25. The owner thinks it's a '23. I don't see how some people can be so unaware of what they own! It is a very nice original car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

Gotta love some of the people and their comments on this forum. Never changes (SIGH).

Royce, Steve, Donnie (everyone who snapped pictures) - thank you for going to the trouble of taking and posting these photos to the various Chickasha threads. For those of us who could not attend, seeing what was there (regardless of the caption) is great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

I wouldn't think a real '01-'04 would be worth that kind of money either. I used to own what was licensed as an '02 Locomobile. The only part that was '02 loco was the engine. The throttle was from a 10hp White, the boiler was a home-made water-tube boiler, the frame and body was a 1960s built curved-dash Oldsmobile replica. I had a lot of fun with it, built a Stanly type burner for it (was propane powered when I got it--had to get rid of that post-haste!) and Stanley water-level type controls, hmm the oil winker may have been Stanley.
I would still own it if it had been an authentic car. I forget what I sold it for, I'm certain it was under $4k, and it had regular CA plates and was even titled as an '02! Not certain how they pulled that off, that's how I got it. Sorta like the 1960 Surrey Olds replica the Bolt's tool museum has with Horseless Carriage plates and was donated as an authentic CDO--even had a verification and valuation paper from a fair well-known restoration shop testifying that it was an original car! Proves the DMV has no idea what you are registering when you have something "odd" to title.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

Talking about CDO, I saw pictures of what looked like a genuine CDO on a trailer in one of the Chickasha threads. What was the asking price for that one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

Steam cars are a funny thing, value-wise. You need to know what you are looking at (and, NO, I do not claim to know that much). White steamers after 1905, and Stanleys from 1906 through 1917 can get quite pricey. Or not so much. Most early steamers are not all that high priced. The "high-chair go-carts" from about 1899 through 1903 are among the cheapest-to-buy London to Brighton era cars you can buy. Getting one qualified for London to Brighton may be another issue. They are a lot more strict on that side of the pond about Veteran Cars being proper original.
I will likely never have one, but they have always interested me. In the last past couple of years, I have seen a few nice, restored, early steam cars for sale well below 100K. I don't know if it is still there or not, but awhile back, there was an original early Stanley on the HCCA site for less than this thing's asking price.
About four or five years ago, the Bakersfield swap meet had a surprising amount of early steam car parts. At least three Locomobile steam motors, plus a couple no name motors, ranging in price from cheap (poor condition) up to about $4000. At least three vendors had axles, fronts and rears, and enough wheels for two full sets (one in poor condition). I added up the prices of some of the stuff there and figured $7000 could have bought a good start to an early Locomobile. For about $3000, there was even an original body in very restorable condition. No name on it, but since Stanley, Locomombile, Mobile, and a dozen others all used bodies built by the same company, it may not really matter.
$10,000 that day could have bought a really good start to an early steam car. If reasonably done, HCCA would have loved it! London to Brighton? Maybe not.
I would still have loved to had it.

Thanks all for sharing the Chickasha reports and photos!
And Roger K, I need to look back at that CDO picture. I saw it, But something looked wrong about it. I need to be careful. Putting other people's cars down again (as we know, my cars are all flawless Yeah, right, gasp, choke!). I would like to know more about the car. And what I think I noticed.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration