Halogen taillight bulb question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Halogen taillight bulb question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

I have a question concerning the use of a compact 20 watt Halogen tail lamp bulb( straight pins single contact)as offered by Lang's in the stock 25 through 27 T taillight assembly. The car is a 1925 Tudor.

Here is what I'm working with, stock generator, stock taillight assembly including socket and 14G wire. My concern is the wattage draw,as I'm sure the Halogen bulb draws more then the stock bulb did...correct?

I'm also considering using the same type of bulb in a separate period aftermarket STOP light mounted on the same car.The stoplight will be actuated via a Fun Projects heavy duty switch so we are talking about two separate circuits here

Any issues with the bulb choice?? Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

If it is advertised as 20 watt, then at 6 volts the current draw will be about 3 1/2 amps which is well within the capacity of the standard wiring harness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 11:25 pm:

Thank you Tony!

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

You may want to look at Bratton's drum light LED sets. More expensive that one bulb and you have to pay a couple extra bucks to get them with negative grounds, they are for both brake and tail lights. I recall the total amp draw of both tail and stop of .7 amps per side. For more info on the discussion of this:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/529223.html?1428874448

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 06:47 pm:

Man I love my LED lights. They are very bright and low amperage which is perfect for the stop/tail light on the Fordor.

https://www.ledlight.com/searchresult.aspx?KeyWords=6v

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

Which of those bulbs did you use Don? Did you use them for any other lights such as headlights and turn signals? Thanks. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

Thanks for your help Kevin and Don. Now I have more options.

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 04:44 am:

David, I used them on the tail/stop light on my '27 Fordor. It made the stop light 10X's brighter than the regular 6v bulb. (10X's is a guess). No strain on the electrical system at all and they produce no heat. I've had one now for 4 years and never had a problem with it. I use the normal bulbs in the headlites but I don't use the headlites much at all. No turnsignals on the Fordor...I'd buy the LED again if it ever burnt out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 04:46 am:

https://www.ledlight.com/g18-1156-17-qty-5730-smd-6-24v-dc-ac.aspx This is the bulb that matches the Model T sockets. Dual voltage so they can handle the mag with ease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 07:31 am:

Those LEDs look like a nice replacement even for halogen bulbs. The 250 lumens isn't particularly bright as light goes--About the same as a 25W bulb but the color temperature of 6000K is what makes them "look" brighter. They will appear brighter than halogen bulbs! And you get that for around 1/2W of power.

Thanks for the link, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

You are welcome Ken, try one out and see what you think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 11:02 am:

"I have a question concerning the use of a compact 20 watt Halogen tail lamp bulb( straight pins single contact)as offered by Lang's in the stock 25 through 27 T taillight assembly. The car is a 1925 Tudor."

FWIW, I don't think it's a good idea to run a 20 watt bulb in that little taillight. That's a lot of heat in a little space.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

Thanks guys for the help, much appreciated.

Ken, what I think I'm going to do is run a 4 to 6 CP in the stock taillight, and a 20 watt Halogon in the in the accessory STOP light. I have a setup pretty much like the one shown below.

I pulled the picture off of the internet..Thanks goes out to the owner

Charles

s

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration