Ricardo head bolts?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ricardo head bolts?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Nave on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

Howdy,
Does anyone have any input on what to use for head bolts for my Rikki. High head bolts only show about 1/2" of thread before the gasket.
Thankee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 12:45 am:

You may want to consider using studs instead of bolts on that type of head. That seems to be the preferred way to accurately and securely attach the head to the block. You get better torque readings this way, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Nave on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 01:16 am:

I think you may be on to something David.
I prefer the look of a bolt but a stud would be more practical.
Do you recommend a machine washer under the nut?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 01:50 am:

Russell, iron heads shouldn't need a flat or lock washer under a nut. I haven't heard of owners having length problems using T head bolts for high heads, but studs and nuts are better and if you like the look of a bolt head better, stainless steel acorn nuts are made and I think they still made the press on nut covers that guys used to use on flathead Ford heads to dress them up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 10:52 am:

You can buy longer bolts in grade 5 at hardware stores. Just pre-measure the hole depth with head on prior to be sure new longer bolts don't bottom out too early.

In my experience, studs on Model T block makes head removal difficult at the firewall overhang, and rust/debris at head bolt holes can lock the head to the stud. Bolts can be removed as they twist up the debris, studs stay and rust junk just locks to the stud shaft.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration