They Don't Build 'Em Like They Used To (Thank God)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: They Don't Build 'Em Like They Used To (Thank God)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 11:25 am:

Want to get the c**p scared out of you? Go to You Tube and type in 1959 Chevrolet crash test. More metal doesn't equal more safety! (LOL. Spell checker questioned Chevrolet)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 11:34 am:

heres the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_r5UJrxcck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 11:56 am:

Yea that has been discussed alot. Most old car folks tend to think the 59 was either rusted alot or modified to give that result.
either way, waste of a vintage car to prove nothing really.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

I agree with you Mack. It was in fact a waste of two cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

The only thing I could see different was the air bag. You couldn't see the drivers side of the malibu as clearly as the 1959 Bel Aire.

I wouldn't want to be driving either of those cars in that crash.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

Such a bunch of staged propaganda ! Remember when VW ads ripped on 50's American cars too ?
We all know what fine pieces of work those were in performance, reliability, and safety too ! I have
driven late 50's and 60's cars since getting my license in 1976. Seen a few wrecks, including a couple
where "the other guy" never went home. My cars were always fixed and back on the road. Lucky, or
just a matter of physics ?

Take a metal box full of wrenches and a same size cardboard box full of plastic forks and tie them on
same length pendulum cords from the same, level beam and raise each to the three-o'clock position
from the radius point. Now, in separate operations, place your face in the direct path of travel for each
at the six-o'clock position, and release the box. Which box do you suppose gives you a bloody nose
and breaks your glasses, and which one tears your head clean off your shoulders and tosses it through
the back wall of the shop ?

Yeah. Mass, inertia, and you. Remember, boys and girls, that meat mass we all carry around between
our ears was meant to be used to avoid sucking up stupid stuff other people want you to believe so they
can lighten your wallet. :-)

And any time any of us are fool enough to think that the "other guy" in the 2004 Cherokee is where the
real road threat is, better take a moment and count the semi trucks and bread vans on the road too. Or
the bounding deer, lumbering moose. We are never entirely "safe", and the only real way to improve one's
odds is to move through life at a speed that matches the relative conditions, equipment involved, and
skill set of the operator. Ask any EMT or highway patrolman with a few years under his belt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 02:29 pm:

I was tboned in my Impala wagon in December of 94 by a Caviler that ran a stop sign. Her car was towed away, i changed a tire and drove 120 miles to see my grandfather in the hospital that day.
Air bags and seat belts prevent some injury's but set the human body up for other injury's that are difficult to diagnose and recover damages from or for that matter recover from physically. Whiplash, that familiar term that is closely followed by lawsuit.
The person driving the 59 would a had a rough day. But the guy in the newer car,his rough day would be a couple days later when his neck and back started aching and the headaches start from the head flinging back and forth.
Sometime when you are bored, google or look on utube for the videos that show how the human head reacts in a car crash. The sheer speed of motion of the human head is beyond words.
I think it is called The Hahn's device, "spelling" that is used in Nascar, is not a toy. It has a reason, and until something like that is used in everyday driving, the driver and passengers are risk of alot of pain in a wreck.That btw is hard to prove in court.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration