WHAT IS THIS FORUM FOR?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: WHAT IS THIS FORUM FOR?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

This forum is suppose to be a place where members can share their experience in helping other members who have problems. And that is a good thing. The suggestions offered can be useful or not and can be used or not. They are offered as solutions to problems based on experience and expertise. Those suggestions can be used or ignored. But they are offered as help for those in need. Unfortunately we have other members who never offer anything constructive but do nothing but criticise the suggestions of others. This is not a good thing and should be stopped. Those comments are intended to hurt and serve no useful purpose but to build the ego of the commentator. It makes me want to say to hell with the forum and never come here again. If you cannot offer anything constructive or helpful ----------------.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

Yes, there are criticisms of suggestions because there some folks on this forum that have no technical or otherwise knowledge to qualify to make suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

John, You are right, but you have the choice to take their advise or not but not to suggest that their comments are stupid and not offer anything constructive..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

Glen I agree 100% with you! When I read some of the post on this Forum I laugh at what has been posted, think how utterly stupid some can be to post something that du,b.
Then on the other side of the coin there are so many good ideas the it is refreshing.
Oh well we have to take the good with the bad and the ugly.
Also when you are PERFECT like you and me what else can they ask for????????????Utter PERFECTION, in capital letters

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

Not to worry Glen, there is good advice based on sound experiences, and advice that is based on ego as you point out. The members are free to choose which ever path they wish, but I prefer to look at the credentials of the advice giver, and base my choices on that. Simply said, when Glen speaks I listen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 03:08 pm:

Kind of reminds me of the joke about the guy who married Mrs. Right -- he just didn't know her name was always.

I seldom post anything on the forum anymore that I think might have any value to anybody - especially technical stuff. Last time I tried to offer some insight on carburetion theory, design and operational parameters I got flamed and flamed by some guy so I figured my knowledge can just die with me.

Probably shouldn't have posted anything on the ring and pinion thread but it was coffee time and I was trying to fire up to go back to the shop and work on another carburetor. Thought somebody might like to know how I do them. Or did them. I will never do another differential or Ruckstell for anybody but myself. Too much other stuff going on.

As my father told me often when I was a little boy, "Son, listen to me, nobody in here wants to hear anything you have to say!" Think he was right.

I'm back to the shop, finishing up another NH for a guy that's been waiting and having problems with the new one he got somewhere but won't be offering any ideas or suggestions here.

I think I'll take the rest of the day off. I'm tired. Long week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 03:19 pm:

Some of the old timers remember Lewis Rector. He was originally from Oklahoma, born in 1903 and went to work at the Ford dealer in Tallequa when he was 12, in 1915. Spent his entire life, which lasted 103 years, working on Fords; particularly Model T's. For 30 years or so his shop was about a mile from my house. Every once in awhile he would get an expert come by to tell him how he ought to be doing what he was doing -- usually some self appointed expert who had been working on T's for a couple weeks or maybe as long as 30 days. More than once his wife called me, I went over and when I walked in the shop yelled, "Lewis, you ready to go??" Then he'd say, "Sorry we are going to have to leave but we have plans made." He'd walk the expert to his car, watch him leave and we'd go in for coffee and cookies, I'd go home and he'd go get something done.

Dunno what made me think of that just now. Get old you do things like that, eh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 03:20 pm:

Glen, maybe you should approve the content of every post before it gets posted? That way you would agree with everything that everyone else could read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

Stan,your knowledge does not need to,nor should it die with ye. As for the guy that flamed you, tell him where to take his kite and fly it.

If we all let just 1 rectum offend us to the point of not sharing our knowledge, this hobby would curl up and die in just a few years.
The rectums on forums and at shows, need to be pointed out and dealt with and not allowed to cause issues.
Another forum I am on let's just 1 or 2 rectums ruin it for the rest of us. Far as I am concerned, only the 1 or 2 rectums should feel the affects of their actions as in being banned or deleted. Not screwing it up for everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 03:39 pm:

Stan - My favorite memory of Lewis Rector was when I very carefully explained to him a certain type of oil leak in the very first Model T I ever acquired, with the intent of learning from him (who I knew to be a very experienced Model T expert) the best way to fix the oil leak.

Lewis listened to my very detailed explanation about the oil leak and then very thoughtfully replied,..."well,...it's a Model T Ford,...of course it leaks oil"! After which he turned around and turned his attention to something else. Almost immediately however, he turned back to me and fully explained exactly how he would fix the oil leak if it was his Model T. You didn't rush Lewis Rector,...if he liked you, you'd get all the help you needed,...IF HE LIKED YOU,...and if you didn't push too hard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

I must have missed the offending discussion. That's nothing new for me.
My best friend in High School introduced me to Model T's. Speaking of experts, he lost interest in T's after he had learned everything about them in about 2 years. I guess I'm a slower learner and that has kept me enjoying them.
I find that a lot of folks who know the right way to do something don't get much of it done. That never stops me.

Stan, I enjoy hearing about Lewis Rector. He bought a Speedster body from me 30 some years ago. It was Grey at the time with No. 28 on it. I always wondered what happened to it.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

Royce, I do not want to approve or criticize anything anyone else has to say. They have a right to their opinion. You can take it or leave it. But you shouldn't criticise them for trying to help. They may be right or they may be wrong. But if you disagree you should offer your opinion or experience on the subject and not just criticise theirs. Unjustified criticism is not helpful and only hurts feelings and will drive people away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 04:03 pm:

Lewis did not suffer fools well. He was one of those guys who was pleasant and friendly but you didn't want to push him or waste his time or energy. I got along great with him, most people did, not everyone. He would tell you how he would fix something and that was about it. He wasn't much on doing free work for you and didn't tell you how to do it, just how he would do it.

The last time I saw him he was living is Sacramento by himself but near his granddaughter. I went and knocked on the door and yelled to see if he was home. He instantly recognized my voice, called my name and told me to come in. He was 101+. We should all be so lucky to live so long and still be that sharp. I bought his Pasco wheels and his literature collection, did his auction when he moved and helped move them to Sacramento.

The speedster body was sold at the IRS auction along with the blue speedster they brought back from somewhere back east. They went to a collector near Havre who had the blue one restored by the body shop class at the Vo Tech in Havre. I dunno what happened to the other body, he may still have it. If he does it isn't for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

Richard, There are several individuals on here that do nothing but criticise others. They never offer any useful advise. All they do is insinuate that the contributor is stupid and doesn't know what he is talking about. That is what I am referring to. You have every right to disagree but unless you can offer better advise just shut up, we don't need you and your unjustified criticism.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 04:16 pm:

Stan, Your comments are always appreciated. So hang in there and keep giving us your advise. Too many naps will kill you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 04:17 pm:

Stan, when you get tired of doing carbs, you could knock off and write another Herman and Frieda book. Oh, wait! Have I suggested that before? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

Okay,...one more,...and I'll try to be brief.

My oldest son's first real job when he was 12 or 13 was to polish brass on the brass era "T's in the Towe Ford Collection in Deer Lodge, Montana. Tom was pretty well paid for the work he did, but I'm not sure if Ernie Hartley (who managed the Towe collection at that time) realized it or not, but that young kid of mine probably would have polished brass for nothing, just to be around all those old cars. Anyway, Tom had a collection of most of the chassis parts for a Model A Ford, but absolutely no sheet metal at all. Lewis Rector must have appreciated my kid's sincere "enthusiasm" as he gave a very solid Model A standard coupe body to him,....all we had to do was come over to Helena with a trailer to get it. Turned into a very memorable "snowstorm" drive over McDonald Pass that neither my Son or I will ever forget! (....but then I said I'd be "brief" right?)......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

I have a problem. When I go forward my wheels turn clockwise. When I go in reverse they turn counter clockwise. Is this normal? I was told they all do it. Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

George, that sounds dangerous. Your left side wheels are all going the wrong way! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

Glen and Stan,

You are so right with your writings.
This is also the reason why I mostly wait to give my opinion on a problem.
What I should like also on this forum is when a solution for problem is found the way it is done should be set on the forum to.
I Did this a few times last year but I always was having critics on it.

just my opinion.
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

It is pleasurable for me to walk in the woods....watching the little critters, listening to the sounds my old ears still hear....sometimes I stumble over a root or rock.

I love flowers...sometimes I accidentally draw blood as I pick the roses - then too, the blackberry & raspberry thorns sometimes dig into my skin.

Spicy foods (sausage, jalapenos, BBQ, pulled pork)..are welcome in my tummy, but sometimes a really "hot" something causes a bit of distress...

Guess I have to take the thorns with the roses - the good with the bad - same with the Forum. People wiser than I have said "Take what you want and leave the rest...".

Yes, Mack, it is a shame some malcontents ruin a great experience for all. There was a time when pilots were allowed to leave the cockpit door open so the passengers could see what the pilots see....some spectacular sights..especially landing at night at a busy airport with so many illuminated light bulbs of different colors and intensity.

A few ruined that experience for all.

It is a shame that those with knowledge who so willingly share it with so many are intimidated to the point of silence. I earnestly hope that their silence is temporary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

I'm dumb enough to post ideas without worrying about whether somebody says they won't work. Maybe he knows something I don't, and maybe he doesn't. If you read the forum long enough, eventually you figure out who has a clue and who doesn't. As for being attacked, I figure if it happens it tells nothing about me and all about him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

Andre, the solution is simple. Write your opinion in Dutch. The Dutch speakers on the forum all seem to be a pretty friendly bunch of people and won't be critical...

Probleem opgelost! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

You first must value a person's opinion before you can be offended by it.

Some folks just want to argue.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

Don't go glen - I have found many of your posts very informative and I've been spending the last 10 years restoring everything on my 26 roadster piece by piece to learn as much about them as I can.

I think I've opened up and slammed a few on here twice but one was over an Obama post when he was first running for office, the other was a problem I had with a clubs clinic in western Kansas.

I do share all of my knowledge and my tools with others in the area and on here to help all I can!

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

^. I'll give you an example - I was researching my transmission rebuild and read all your info on the tripple gear bushings - I'm damn glad I did because I was going to set mine way too tight!

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

What i do not understand is why not e-mail private who set you off instead of bringing it here to start a pissing contest?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

Glen,

I was trying to make light of the subject! I appreciate everything that anyone has to offer if it is offered, not forced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

I really enjoy the forum and take it for what it is ... a group of people interested in the same subject ... from a wide range of backgrounds, experience and knowledge. I know now who will always disagree with something .. and those who will disagree with everything .. and I know those who provide reliable advice on specific topics. Even though I've driven my T for over thirty years I'm not an expert in anything T related ... I'm still learning great things about my car and a lot of it comes from this forum.

I am a member of several other forums related to my day job, and in that arena I'm actually considered one of the go to experts. Nevertheless ... like those of you who are frustrated ... I have found the same thing happening in those other forums. I don't go on with advice unless people contact me directly. I got tired of people with very little experience telling me I didn't know what I was talking about, despite the "proof of the pudding."

I encourage everyone to continue with this wonderful forum and to try to play nicely. We all know who the curmudgeons are and we can choose not to read their posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

Thank you all for your support. The forum can be a helpful , wonderful place where we all can share our experience and knowledge trying to help others. Its a shame that others have nothing better to do than try to ruin it with their rude comments. They never offer an alternative they only criticise others suggestions. I hope this thread will open their eyes so that they also become helpful contributors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

As usual Steve has said it in few words and better than most. Posts like this, and this is my opinion only, are there to illicit comments. Period. Everyone here is welcome nuts or not. Notice how the other Forums light up when this one's down and go back into Rip Van Winkle mode when it's back? Want to guess why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 06:54 pm:

There are many ways to solve a problem one ways might be easy for one person and another way might work for someone else. Some guys just think their way is not only best but the only way. If you do it a different way you are an idiot. Those know it all types keep a lot of good ideas or alternate ideas from being being posted . Glen thank you for bring this up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

Phillip, You are right, there is always more than one way to solve a problem, but everyone should be allowed to express their view and experience which may help others without fear of being called an idiot or told outright that they are wrong. That is not helpful or productive. But worse than that those making those statements never offer any alternatives or worthwhile suggestions. They only attack others inputs and that is wrong. This has been going on since the forum started and I just thought it was time to say something hoping it will make things better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

Glen, our club had some members like that. No matter what some did they could always do it better or for less money, except they never did. Couldn't get a lick of actual help from them.

There is always some who just like to argue. Just ignore them because the majority of people on this forum value all advice on how to do something, just not the postings from those that argue or insult.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

Looks like we need to have some Hurt Feelings Reports filled out. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

No hurt feelings here. I just think it is sad that we have members that contribute nothing to the forum but bad taste. Its suppose to be a place where we help each other not run each other down with rude comments. If that's what you want I'll never be back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

So why did you not once but twice refer to fools in the noisy transmission thread? That hardly supports your criticism in this thread.

Regards all,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Garnet. Fools have their mind made up and refuse to listen to the facts and try to refute everything you say in spit of the facts. They ignore the facts and call you names for citing facts then offer nothing as an alternative. So if you believe them you wind up with nothing as an alternative. They are only interested in refuting what you have to say. This is counterproductive for those who need help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Been working on T's for over 25 years and not even 50 yet
Still get good ideas reading this forum and I shared a few as well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 10:02 pm:

Thank you for sharing Bob, That is what the forum is for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

Considering that we are all different in the way we think and approach certain tasks, i could never understand why it is a problem with some here that every persons opinion is somehow too many if they don't agree with them. I listen to everyone here, and make an informed decision on the merits of what they have to say. In my opinion, there is no such thing as having too many opinions...Of course, that's just my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

I agree with Glen, It's truly amazing how much time and effort some guys here on the forum devote to providing some really excellent info just to help out others. We have experts in nearly field represented here that spend lots to time posting pictures, video links and drawings just to help out someone that has a question.

It has to be the best deal on the internet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 10:48 pm:

I was brought in a country with severe limits on free speech. The government can (still) apply what is known as a D Notice to any article in a newspaper and it must be deleted and replaced with something, no empty spaces.....
I was corresponding with the forum moderator regarding a suggestion to remove someone from participating on the forum. I pointed out that that would be censorship and I was opposed. In the end we wrote to the person and asked them to cool the personnel remarks, it seemed to work and life continues. We should all remember my favorite comment the half the population has less than average intelligence..... By the way I have been criticized as being elitist with that comment, even though it is absolutely correct...
Glen, hang in, just ignore the personal stuff and the inane comments and they go away...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

John, You are absolutely right. Everyone's opinion is worthy of consideration. and that is exactly the point I am trying to make. No one has the right to criticise your opinion or insinuate that you are stupid for having that opinion, especially when they do not offer an alternate or better solution. I and others have had this happen to us on numerous occasions and usually by the same people. Their rude comments are killing the forum not helping it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 12:21 am:

Glen, et al; This is all about perspective, Amigo/s. While I agree that there are annoying
people out there, there is joy to be had in having gratitude for all the good we take for granted.

This is our lead truck on a clip out of Aziz Ullah in 2011 after being pulled back to camp:

The careful observer will note the white "pecks" from the AK rounds sprayed down upon us
in the ambush.

3 tours where one has to be "on point" 24/7 for such eventualities really puts what is and
what is not a problem into perspective. Loading team members into medivac choppers with
their legs in the litter beside them as they scream from pain beyond my imagination ...

... what we have here are not problems. Not even close. I hesitate to even qualify them as
"annoyances". Rather, we "back home" Americans are a whole bunch of complacent and
whining princesses who would not know how deal with a REAL problem if it bit our face off.

And the bottom line is, after generations of nothing but the good life that much of the world
would risk death to be a part of, and lots of "conveniences", we have a high lack of gratitude
for just how good we have it. I urge ANYONE who doesn't understand what I am talking about
to go to Cameroon, India, or maybe a real hot zone like Syria right now, give it six months, and
then report back on what a problem really looks like.

Gratitude, my friends. Be thankful for how good we really have it, in spite of the occasional
annoying guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 12:33 am:

I have found the forum provides lots of valuable information, including some that even helps keep my T running!;-) The one thing that amuses me is that how a thread can start with a question on one topic and then divert to a completely different one! Somewhere along that line the question does get answered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 10:39 am:

For waht' it's worth, some insight from a newbie. I lived on another forum while restoring my WWII jeep and could not have done it without the help of a community of knowledge and experience. You learn that with `12 responses to an inquiry, you will average 2 that are out in left field, 2 that don't understand the original question, 2 that want to insult your intellegence and question your sanity, and then finally, a consensus of what turns out to be valuable assistance.

I started to post a question or concern that then rush out to the garage to do what the first response told me to do. I since learned to wait until the dust settles, the guns are put back in the holsters and proceed down what is perceived to be a correct path.

I have also found myself doing what I wanted to do regardless of the responses or intrepreting the respondses to fit my precoonceived solution. A trap I try to avoid with this forum.

I have been insulted in public on this forum and apologized to in private via PM, but the strengths far outweigh the faults.

When you have a challenge that prohibits you from "reading the book first", it is a blessing to have my computer read posts and threads that provide solutions. Or at least, give me a jump start on a thought process that leads me to a solution that works for me.

Thanking all in advance for their continued support and input. Even CrackerJack has a few nuts in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 11:13 am:

After looking at the post on the noisy transmission, I suspect that my post was what set Glen off! I am sorry that I offended you. I thought I was agreeing with you on the proper clearance. However, I took offense to your calling those who disagree "fools". Please forgive me.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

Lets all go thank the Lord and go work on our Fords.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

Norman, No way, You even agreed with me that you need 0.004 clearance. Your comments are always respectful and appreciated. We need more like you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

Burger, Thanks for putting things in perspective, and thanks for you service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ben Umberger on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

Gents,

I very seldom write to the forum but please be assured I spend hours learning from it. I am amazed at the depth of knowledge so easily accessed.

To those that take the time to share their expertise I thank you and beg you to continue.

To anyone who who doesn't see the need for civility please think about it, apply the golden rule.

Ben Umberger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 01:53 pm:

Then be on your way, Glen.............

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

Burger,

As a father with 2 daughters in the service (1 Army; Combat Medic, deployed to Afghanistan for 10 months. And 1 Marine Corps.) I can appreciate where you are coming from, though I did not serve. As a parent to see my wife cry so much is heart breaking! You are a stronger man than I........

Kind regards,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Before I went, I was a lot grumpier and easily had the old hide "chapped". AFG was a
life-changing experience and one where I discovered gratitude for things we all take for
granted. I found peace in the simple things, and if I can share that awareness in any way,
I feel I am doing us all a favor. Peace, gratitude, ... it's a good thing. :-)

Willis, what is your wife crying about ? I too can get pretty choked up when I reflect on
those who served around me with honor and distinction, but I would have rather gone home
in a box, doing my honorable duty than to never have stood up as one of those who went.

I hope her tears are those of pride and honor in knowing "hers" had the moxie to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 02:56 pm:

Burger, I wear my American Legion cap at the annual Memorial Day ceremony at our local city hall and in the Veterans Day parade downtown. I've never really known what to say when people thank me for my service. A friend posted this on Facebook a few days ago. Now I know what to say. (And I like the clip also.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2L3skZ7FEw

I also try to make a point of explaining the difference between a Vietnam veteran and a Vietnam-era veteran. (I'm the latter - Air Force, SAC base in Arkansas.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

So Burger, you are a USMC veteran?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

This is almost as bad as an OT political or opinion thread that gets deleted.
The difference is that the political and opinion threads are more fun and like meeting your friends at a coffee shop for some lively discussions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

This thread has run it's course and lost it's focus. But I hope those who use the forum for their own entertainment at others expense will get the message and keep the discussions civil. Everyone has a different experience and different opinion, some good and others not so good. But they have a right to their opinion and we should not try to make them feel like fools. If you have an opinion on a subject express it but don't just criticise others opinions or you are the fool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

Semper Fi if your a Marine Burger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

Opinions are like butt holes
Everyone has one
But some smell worse than others.

That is my opinion. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

Ron, ... USMC wouldn't take me .... at 30, they told me I was too old. At 49, I wasn't even going to ask. But
I wanted to serve, so I went over as a contractor and then got assigned out with the 1/3 Marines building FOBs,
COPs, medic centers, whatever they needed. Kind of a sneaking in the "back door", I got to get out where the
action was and do my part.

Dick, "Thank you for your support" is good. I wear my garrison cover and unit patch everywhere I go and often
get the "Thanks for your service" comment. Depending on the level of interest in the commentor's statement, I
may engage them deeper in the experience, or often just say "Thanks, it was an honor" as they go on their way.
I always make it clear that while I was lucky enough to serve WITH the Marines, I was a contractor and not a Marine.
That's more of that extension of Duty and Honor. It is my duty to represent myself truthfully and not claim to be
anything I wasn't. Doing otherwise would be dishonorable. Big stuff in USMC philosophy.

Most people get it when I tell them. I've had a few guys who were in one of the branches who take offense to
anyone even thinking a civi has any claim to being there. Ironically, those I have engaged in this way were always
"stateside warriors" and weren't THERE in terms of in a combat zone. I do my best to respectfully thank them for
their service and if possible explain that my mission was only to support OUR mission. Some get it, some don't.

I go WAY out of my way to thank anyone I recognize as having served, especially if they were Devil Dogs. I get
a real pleasure out of hearing their stories and most enjoy that someone cares enough to engage. I have a guy in
my sights at a retirement home I do work at that was at IWO. He is frail and I felt imposing to keep him as he was
going to lunch when we met, but his eyes sparkled when we exchanged some Corps talk and I later got his POC
so we can sit down and have a little chat time.

My time with the Corps was some of the worst, most awful times imaginable, and they were the best. That won't
make sense to most people, but you cannot pay money to take a ride like that. You just have to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

We had a recruit in my platoon at Parris Island that was 33.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler in Branson, Mo. USA. on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

Semper fi guy!
Thank ALL of you for our country, our lives, and the ability to enjoy the things we do!!!!
I will put my .02 cents in here too.
I have worked on T Fords since 1961. Hot rods since 1959. I knew nothing about T's at that time. BUT I was lucky enough to listen to the OLD men around my town. Joining the OAAC in 1961. Ozark Antique Auto Club AND the MOTA chapter. I would often find gripers and some who THOUGHT that they knew a lot of information...Then! It is still that way and always will be I guess.
There are several of personalities with cars out there in life. Teaching and having this hobby taught ME a lot of that BUT still I have very thin skin about criticism!!! (I am not yelling) It is easier for me to capitalize than to use quotations. So sometimes when I try to help a fella forum member I tell it MY way. It doesn't mean it is right BUT it is the only way I have learned how to do it. I never had the money nor the desire just to do ONE car!!!! I had varied interests (as many of you do too). I love hot rods!!! Muscle cars, Exotics (when I accidentally find one) and T's A's and the early V8 Fords. Why? I cannot tell you exactly. I like my T's restored!!!! I have hot rodded a few but feel they are dangerous to drive at speeds. Fun yeah, but unsafe. I have seen a few wrecks in my hot rodding days and thank goodness no one was killed. But broken bones... yes. One of the club members was thrown thru a windshield when his T hit a small concrete culvert wall next to a highway. I was sure he was dead. He lived and after a stay in the hospital he fixed up his bucket T. It was a glass body!
There are many of you who are fortunate enough to FIND and have the $$ to BUY original parts! That's GREAT! (I did shout...sorry). But MOST of us do not and cannot do this. There are some of us who have a T. It is no where NEAR correct. It IS a T Ford of sorts and that is fine. I like my cars original (Correct) but I search high and low for the part or few parts I need. I need help just like the other fellas on here. It is hard to find these parts. I hear "If we sell you an original part then it doesn't get onto someone else's car who needs it. Need I remind you that several of my cars-from-parts HAVE indeed won first place in the junior AND the senior division!!! True statement. These cars originated out of old T sheetmetal piles in the woods (from WWII) and frames under old wagons. New sheetmetal from the fella in Washington state (1970's) and the fella who build Ford Brass radiators in Calif in the 70's. Also fenders and hoods from Jack Carlin and Rootlieb. I have hammered out parts just like the man who first made the one piece pans in Calif. Then later Ernie Brown. WE BUILT our stuff. WE strove to make it as original as the people who made them for Ford in the old days. There were MANY of us doing this and doing it well then. That is how I learned. I value those relationships.
When I try to help someone who is in need of a part like I had to do (teacher's pay wasn't always the best) $4K annual income in the late 60's and early 70's here. So I was amazed when I found a fella building his T fenders and his body from old washers and refrigerator's sheet metal that he cut off using a hand chisel!!! He made his own bucks and jigs from WOOD and hammered in his details. Sure he was a REAL hillbilly and in the back woods! But he taught me something!!! He was doing it. It looked descent AND he was driving HIS car. His engine came off of an old saw rig.
So sometimes instead of enjoying what others write (some of you all tend to ignore and some make make smart-elect answers). Sometimes you are just kidding but are you? If you are teasing then please SHOW that to the person who you are commenting this to. We are ALL T'ers! Brothers! Some are lucky to afford the REAL genuine article and some of us had to make our cars from bits and pieces. Whenever we are in contention at a show for a trophy or an upgrade to our car... just smile and show us where we need the change the part to make the car CORRECT and don't be surprised when one of my cars goes away with a Senior rating. It took a lot of questions and HELP to get it that way. Research is what made this forum and club anyway. Parts help also!
Good day gentlemen.
USMC LeJune 1967 and NO I did not contaminate the water!!!!!!
Joe in Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

We have been invaded by Marines. God bless em!
US ARMY SECURITY AGENCY, GERMANY 1956-58

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

Seriously - we have a big yellow ribbon tied to the flag pole in front of our home.
It is flaying the American, POW, and Gadsten flag..
It is for a very good friend that has been assigned to the mid-east.
He has a wife and two sons - we pray for him an them numerous times a day.

Every time I get upset about something someone says or does I think about him and it changes my attitude.
Compared to him, my issues are trivial.

(Message edited by Nhusa on March 20, 2016)

(Message edited by Nhusa on March 20, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 10:39 am:

Misery loves company. Some people just Choose to be Miserable! (and so attempt to make everyone else miserable as well)

Best way to deal is just ignore them. Respond to the posts that you are in agreement, forget the ones that you find offensive.

Better yet, throw offense out the back door! (it is a Useless emotion anyways) ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 12:36 pm:

Robert, you are correct. But I find it offensive when a member comes on the forum to offer his help and experience and is attacked as a fool for doing so. All opinions are worthy of consideration. Some are good and others not so good. An opposing opinion can be presented, but no one should be attacked as stupid for expressing their opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

Robert,

Well stated, "...throw offense out the back door! (it is a Useless emotion anyways)"

Nobody has the power to offend you, unless you grant it to them. Don't give unworthy people power over your emotions.

(Yes, easier said than done)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

Glen, Just keep on making and selling great Model T parts. I've certainly enjoyed dealing with you folks, and love the quality of the stuff I buy from you guys (especially the Ruckstell kit!). Dave is great to talk to when ordering and I always look forward to getting the right parts the first time. Just try to live by the old axiom "Never let an A**hole ruin your day". When they do, they win. When you don't react to them, they lose. Keep up the great work! You're a credit to the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

Thanks guys for your support. We have been trying to help others for nearly 50 years now. It's nice to know when someone appreciates your efforts and a pain when they don't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charles oakland on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

Glen thank you for standing up for us lurkers that are afraid to comment on anything or question anything. I so enjoy some of the wonderful inputs meant to help not hinder the hobby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

That is great advice Jerry, I'll make good use of it next time someone posts snide comments on one of my threads.

I have to admit, my skin has grown thicker over the years. Its very gratifying to receive kind accolades from folks who appreciate your contributions to the hobby, not so much when they don't for various reasons. I've decided to keep at it as long as the group who appreciates the effort continues to dwarf the small minority who don't. I hope you decide to do the same Glen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

You marketing that new horn yet Mike .... the E-Whiner?

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

Glen and Mike -

Having purchased items from both of you, thanks for all you do and your patience in answering the questions of hobbyists.

Best regards,
Mike Hanson
Houston, Texas

P.S. Mike - The ECCT works great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 10:45 am:

Thank you Mike. I'll make sure those comments aren't from me ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 11:22 am:

Fred's outlook, as expressed directly above, is how I see things. Sure, there is plenty
to grumble about on a daily basis. In the bigger picture, is it really something so important
I want to get all bent out of shape about ?

I always think of the wounded or the rocket attacks whenever something chaps my hide.
That get's my head squared away in a hurry. And when my head is squared away, I am more
appreciative of the good things I have, the little pleasures, .... a sunny morning, the smell
of sage or pine trees, a free moment to dawdle .... whatever.

You miss that stuff when you allow nincompoops to get your feathers ruffled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 11:51 am:

I echo Mike Hanson's remark, thanks Glen and Mike.

PS - I love my ECCT too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

Thank you all. It's nice to know that others care instead of just me. It's always a pleasure to help others in the hobby with their problems. That is what it should all be about. All productive inputs and opinions should be welcome. If thy are not productive or helpful keep them to yourself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Lightfoot on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 12:23 pm:

So many wonderful posts, great information. I love my T's and A's and have about 8. I am a school trained auto and aircraft mechanic and an FAA Mechanic Examiner. I have been working on and restoring for me and others since 1980 on T's and still learn so much from others. Let's keep our forum going. I also have many mentors around me. Jim in Colorado. US Army Vietnam Era. NWTC, Alaska.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

Glen,
Being a newbie I'm not real familiar with this forum, but I'll throw in my observation anyway. I think a great example of what these kinds of forums are all about, can be seen in the thread started by your son related to his barn find "T". To me it shows a real mixed cooperation between the participants in finding and identifying different aspects of that car that will benefit everyone for years to come, a kind of CSI investigation, if you will! A fascinating thread.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

I couldn't have rebuilt my T without this forum, so I treasure it as a resource ;o)

If in your opinion someone's posts are rude or overly critical, the best way to handle it is to ignore them and their posts.

If you right and they are being rude or critical without being helpful, others will see it too and also choose to ignore them.

If everyone does this, pretty soon they'll quit that behavior or go elsewhere.

The WORST thing we can do is to reply in an angry fashion (or reply AT ALL). There are many out there who thrive on argument and discourse, they will use your reply as encouragement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

Glad you enjoyed Marks new toy. It is a great car to study. There are no two Model T's that are alike. The variations seem to be endless. We learn something new every day. He has not agreed to give it to me yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 03:17 pm:

Glen - If I was Mark, I'd "will it" to you, just to maintain peace in the family, haha,......harold,......(;^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 11:38 pm:

Harold, At my age it isn't going to happen. But he wants to put it in my museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 12:53 am:

Sheesh, Glen ... I don't know, ... how ungrateful is THAT ? Have you considered disownment ??? :-) :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 12:56 am:

Museum? Hmmm,....are you sure he didn't say,...mausoleum?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 07:50 am:

Thank you Glen for all that you contribute to this forum. I'm not as frequent a poster as others but I have made many friends and have been able to solve many T and early car problems through this forum. Thanks should also go to all who take time to help others here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 09:49 am:

What's it for? Apparently sausage and peppers right now. (no complaints. Just sayin'). I've noticed what you post depends a bit on who you are. Some get leeway others don't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 10:17 am:

I read the Forum every morning with my coffee. It's a great way to start the day, and I enjoy reading everything. If I see a subject I don't agree with, or whatever, I don't read it. Just had another sip of coffee, yum!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 10:44 am:

After listening to a caller complain about an unpleasant person who treated her badly, the late radio psychiatrist David Viscott told her, "His punishment is to be who he is."

Attacks come from unhappy people. If someone feels a need to boost his flagging ego by insulting others, I think the best approach is to let him stew in his own juice. Getting down in the mud to wrestle with the pig is fruitless, because the pig enjoys it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:21 am:

Steve,

"His punishment is to be who he is."

I like that one! Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 01:18 pm:

You guys are great. I love your comments. I agree, just ignore them. Maybe they will go away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

Is there a list?

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

Not being very technically or mechanically inclined (just ask Jerry Van!) and more of an historian, I would hate to see any meaningful contributor leave the forum because of some others negative comments. I have learned more from this site thanks to many who have taken the time to share their valuable knowledge and experience.

Just ignore. They'll go away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 05:09 pm:

When I was on the road as a truck driver, before the turn of the century, there were people on the CB radio that excelled on pissing people off. There was always someone who would kindle the fire or get in the mud with this idiot.
Glad I am retired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Not being very technically or mechanically inclined (just ask Jerry Van!) and more of an auto historian, I would hate to see any meaningful contributor leave the forum because of some others negative comments. I have learned so much from this site thanks to many who have taken the time to share their valuable knowledge and experience.

Just ignore. They'll go away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Oooop!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

I think if one reads all this thread,the thread about the center to center distance of crankshaft to camshaft,and the triple gear bushing thread one might see a pattern? I took my own advise and e-mailed private first but i have no reply?? Sorry to all but i never thought my post on engine pans was offensive,as it was not meant to be! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 06:12 pm:

I been on this Forum for more years than I can remember. I don't post as much as I used to. I've seen folks at their very best and there very worst. Yes we do tend to fight,bicker and push each other's buttons once in awhile. I've even been spanked on here a couple of times over the years. The one thing that stays the same is that when it comes to helping someone in need everybody will do whatever they can. And that is what the Forum is for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

And your Grandson and you and your family are in more folks prayers than you'll ever know Will,.....mine and my wife's included!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

Amen to that, Harold!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration