Bat charge from Mag

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Bat charge from Mag
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

looking for someone using the mag to charge the Bat. Built up the charger using the diode and the 1156 bulb. Appears to be working except anything over about half throttle the 1156 bulb gets so bright it looks like it would not last very long and of course gets brighter the higher the throttle setting. All the diagrams I have seen call for the 1156 bulb and of course the brighter it gets it also gets extremely hot. Any suggestion anyone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Bittner engineering.... He has them for 6v. or 12V. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

Check your wiring. Neither connection of the bulb should be connected to the metal part of the cars body or frame. It sounds like you have either the diode grounded at one end or the bulb grounded at one end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

Richard, If you are charging a 6V battery the bulb will get brighter and you need to add a 6V bulb in series with the 12V bulb. . If you are charging a 12V battery everything should be ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

It is all connected correctly and I think you are probably correct Glen as I am using a 6 volt battery. I was looking at some info from years ago on the forum and it stated that the 1156 bulb worked well for the 6 volt but maybe I missed something. Yep Don I did see that Bittner had them for sale but mine only cost about 3 dollars to build and it is the same circuit as I understand. Thanks for all of the information. With this forum ask and you shall receive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

Reminds me when I gave a fellow club member on tour a ride back from diner in my car. When we got going there was the big glow under the floor boards and I hollered to him "We're On Fire!" Fortunately he didn't jump out but it was good for a laugh after I told him. Hee hee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 11:25 pm:

I have used a diode and 1156 bulb for years on my 12V battery in my old 1913 Roadster. never had a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 12:06 am:

Glen you mentioned that maybe I should add another bulb in series with the 1156 would that change the charging current. I would think that it would lower it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 02:37 am:

Can someone provide a wiring diagram for this procedure? Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 07:31 am:

Jim,

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/494540.html?1416288062

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 10:41 am:

I respectfully disagree that you need to add a 6V bulb in series with a 12V bulb when charging a 6V battery from the magneto unless you simply want to reduce the charge rate. The original circuit was in fact designed to charge a 6V battery and not a 12V battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

The Bittner Engineering magneto battery charge will not work properly if you are running original Model T coils. The advertising clearly warns you about this.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 02:07 pm:

Comment. Although the magneto was not intended to charge a battery. So unnatural. But if you so chose to do so with the diode, why not use a zener diode to control voltage/amperage? http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/diode_7.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration