Let me see, what do I do first?-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Let me see, what do I do first?-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 08:57 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 11:07 am:

Pure speculation:

Judging from the seat and the missing hood I bet that's an early TT used on a ranch. I think it's an early one because it has a wood fire wall and even more telling, a 1915-16 horn button (like mine).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 12:23 pm:

The first thing you do is wait about 12 or 15 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

This photo is really sick and wrong. Why isn't that child in a protective seat with helmet
and face mask/guard ? Secondly, where is the proper vinyl siding and matching "dish" TV
antenna ? Such arrogant displays of organic simplicity are what ruined America. Sliver
wounds could be had and the lack of video/electronic entertainment opportunities are
nothing short of child abuse ! What was wrong with these people ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

Charlie, most farm kids are driving by the age of 12 or younger, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

When we could stand and depress the pedals was when we started driving the tractors. First dad let us "play" by driving in a large circle around the farm buildings. When we were more proficient, we hauled wagons to and from the fields. We then progressed to packing corn behind the planter and then cultivating. Eventually graduated to running the combine. That was well after we learned to grind feed for the livestock and milk cows. If you broke it, you had to help fix it. that is how I learned to weld and general mechanics. We didn't consider it abuse as it was the way all the neighbors did it too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 03:25 am:

I spent a lot of time as a child at my grandparent's ranch outside Modesto CA. We would stay for weeks during the peach harvest. From the time I started walking, I would sit on my dad's or grandad's lap and steer the tractors. I couldn't press the clutch pedal yet, but was shifting the transmission by the time I was four. I was driving the tractors solo and pulling trailers out of the orchards when I was six. I was using bench grinders, and drill presses about the same time, and welding by the time I was twelve. I was also proficient with a fork lift by the time I was ten, but have not driven one since I was twelve and grandpa sold the ranch and retired.
Yes, it was a different world then.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 08:44 am:

I had a mechanically deprived childhood. I got to drive a tractor while visiting the farm when I was ten, but we lived in a city. Dad was raised by his grandma in horse & buggy days, with no exposure to mechanics. I believe he didn't buy his first car until he was over thirty. He had the mechanical Touch of Death. So I got no exposure to such things. Now I'm learning mechanical stuff as an old man.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration