Chickasha Photos: Friday

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Chickasha Photos: Friday
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

Friday was a good day to stay indoors. The rainstorm that moved through was quite a gully washer for awhile. But there were some interesting things to see inside.

Donnie can tell you about his unusual engine.

Rich Chillingworth

Hi, Royce.

This 1972 Suburban wasn't for sale. It's a working vehicle.

Ron Paetz about wore himself out pulling the crank on this TT chassis. It wanted to start a few times, but never did while I was there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 01:06 pm:

Steve and others, The engine is a Stover "Junior" hit and miss. I believe the Model T flywheel and mag were added to supply the ignition for the engine. The engine would originally have had an igniter. They were a touchy and problem type of ignition unless everything was in good shape. More than likely some poor old farmer could not keep it running with the igniter. So he mounted a model T coil to the side of the water tank (you can barely see the two bolts near my foot that held a wood box for the coil. Then he replaced the igniter with a steel plate and spark plug. By adding a pin to the cam lobe and "striking" it to ground with a wiper near the cam, and using the T magneto for the voltage. He could have a running engine again. "farmer" "poor boy fixes" always are interesting to me. With some form of voltage reducer and AC/DC change over he may also have charged batteries with it for the radio or ????. On another note. We have had some discussions in the past about "haggeling or negotiating" on the price. I usually will "haggle" because that is part of the game. But I had bought the engine there to take home for myself. I had quoted a "Firm" "I will not take it home price" to the man earlier and he had returned a few times to try and get it cheaper. I had told him "firm" was because I wanted it myself so "firm was firm". What you do not see (or hear) in the picture is the handful of 100.00 bills in my left hand he had just handed me for the engine at my "firm price" and him still saying "you were supposed to negotiate". :-) :-) Its all fun and games,but sometimes the game is a little tougher than other times ... :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration