What is your fix for a lose wheel bearing race

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What is your fix for a lose wheel bearing race
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 03:17 pm:

I am Installing new races and bearings . When I reinstall the new race it is loose. you can move it in and out . Is there a fix for this ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 03:25 pm:

Try Lock-tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

If it's a few thousands then Loctite as Jack suggested. If it's really loose then JB weld.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

Loctite make a product called Stud and Bearing Mount that is green. It is specifically for this type of problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

Just fixed one on my 27. NAPA sells Permatex sleeve locker. Cost is 6 bucks. Clean everything place some on both pieces I installed it back on the car and set over night. I had a little seep out on the race but it chipped of with a knife.
Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

Measure the ID of the hub and the OD of the race. Select Shim-stock that is half the difference and line it around the ID of the hub where the bearing presses in. Then, press the race in place. When complete, you have a race that is pressed in place and supported by steel and not filled with plastic. This is how I do it anyways.. Doesn't mean the other ways are wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

I had one which was loose and took it to a machinist who installed a sleeve and turned it to fit. If you do this, be careful to center it and also not to cut too far into the hub to weaken it. The shim stock might work but must be careful that the bearing race is centered in the hub. JB weld might also work if it is only slightly loose.

Or look for a better hub. This is easy if you have wood spoke wheels. The used hubs are available at most swap meets, but the wire spoke hubs for 26-27 are hard to find and expensive.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

Loctite 642. It will fill a gap of .020 from memory. I have used it a few times. Seems like it was about $35 an ounce. Great stuff.

I clean both parts a couple of times with acetone. It needs 24 hours to fully cure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

Years ago had the problem on one of my cars and at the time no one came up with a good fix so I took a center punch and a hammer and actually punched small dimples all the way around the axle a couple of rows. Forced the race back on and drove the car for several more years without any problems

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

If you give some dimensions that helps when giving the best advice. The Loc-tite is really great and would also work with a piece of shim stock if necessary. Take extra precaution that you maintain the center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

Thanks for all the information Its been a great help . Perry

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration