Hood disassembly help needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hood disassembly help needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 03:38 pm:

I just picked up this low hood at a local swap meet. It is in decent shape but it looks like it has been stored folded up for many years.

Does anyone have any good tips on how to free up and remove the hinge pins without damaging the sheet metal besides a good soaking with some penetrant oil?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Humboldt, TN on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

soak the hinges in oil and drive the hinge rods out with another rod that's about 3/16" Make sure all the hinges are free on the original rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

Use best penetrating oil on hinge sections and work panels back and forth to be sure each section at the rolled hinges are free. Then use another long rod as driver as Bob posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 06:07 pm:

I just did this on an old rust hood that I may just use the upper shell and not use the side panels. Lots of Liguid Wrench. A lot of wiggle back and forth and then a drift punch that is flat on the end, not pointed like a nail det or awl.
Once I got enough out of one end to get a set of vice grips on the rod coming out, I grabbed it and twisted it while pulling it out. I found this easier that trying to punch and punch and risk damaging the hinge barrels.

If you don't have a set of vice grips, you could get a rod end started out and grab it in a beench vice and same thing, Twist while pulling.

Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

Once you use the penetrating oil and get a rod out about a inch you can carefully clamp the rod end in a electric drill and spin slowly while gently pulling at the same time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 06:21 pm:

PS- If necessary on hollow rods you can bulk up the end before using the electric drill by inserting a proper diameter bolt shank with the head cut off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

Also used electric drill, works good. Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 09:23 am:

Ed, before the electric drill trick will work, the rods must be free to turn. If you can move the panels on the rod, you are part way there. Usually only one panel will be freed up first, leaving the rod frozen in the other. Penetrant oil will help. Patience is needed.

To free up the rod in the second panel, try driving it out with a rod as suggested. Be prepared to attack it from both ends, until it will shift. Then gradually drive it out one way and then the other until it will move freely.

Because the centre hinge has a tubular rod, much more care and patience is required, if you are to avoid damage to the rod.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 09:57 am:

All the above tips will work well freeing up the hood. I replaced the rods on my hood with a set of the solid rods the suppliers now sell.
One of the rods on my hood was bent and crumpled on the end is the reason I replaced them.

This is one improvement that's works pretty well.

You may not need to do this every time on an old rusted up hood but it is a great help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 01:16 pm:

Over here the rust is rougher, I've had to use heat to make both my formerly rusted solid hoods to move even though liberal amounts of atf/acetone was applied before..

But after some heating with the oxy/acetylene torch on each folded hinge and more atf/acetone as it cooled, they started to move - and after more work I could also get the pins out :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration