Almost a problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Almost a problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

Got the '26 registered and on the road. Took it to a display on Sunday, about a 40 kilometre drive (25 miles).Went well till on the way home a funny smell and grandson noticed a wisp of smoke from under the dash. Stopped and felt a hot wire there and wriggled the wires and got it home. Just pulled the dash and the found the "Coil" wire insulation on the terminal was rubbed through on the "bright" wire terminal screw head. I had installed a new wiring loom 12 months ago and had no problems with running it around the paddock on test runs , or even on the two short runs before this one. Lesson learned... make sure the terminals aren't close or touching.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 05:51 pm:

That's a bad place for smoke, right next to the gas tank. It makes for an exciting day doesn't it? Glad you found and fixed the problem.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

Lesson Two:

Add a fuse to the battery circuit! Fun Projects makes a nifty install kit. All my T's are fuse circuits, don't leave home without one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

The worst scenario is that your MAG eyelet moves over and touches the BAT terminal. Been there, done that, ruined the magneto. Make sure they are all separated and tight and make sure there is proper insulation on each.

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 02:07 am:

Lesson Two Completed Dan :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 06:58 am:

Garnet,

First I had even thought about that and had to read it twice.

Double checking mine.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration