From patina to paint, could apply to a T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: From patina to paint, could apply to a T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 06:55 pm:

A lot of people have cars that are "patina" and to prevent further rust use Marvel Mystery Oil (I think) or something similar on the sheet metal. If later you decide tho paint the car, how do you get that off? It seems like you would have to wash it off with gasoline or sand every inch of the car down to bare metal. I have one T I'll probably never paint but I have a Hudson that I probably will. I can't afford to paint it now but if it keeps on it will soon be from patina to solid rust. I don't want to create a nightmare for myself in the future trying to paint a car that I can't get the oil off of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Snyder on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

they have satin clear in a rattle can i think that would work to keep it preserved . check out the HAMB or jalopy journal too .Even cleaning good and a good coat of wax may work. i wiped some jasco over rusted areas and it seemed to leave a protective coating .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

Boiled linseed oil with some mineral spirits mixed in to help it dry---50/50 is ok. protects, easy to touch up. I would imagine something like straight mineral spirits or lacquer thinner would take it off, but never had the need for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

Marvel Mystery oil, WD-40 or whatever makes little difference when you finally paint a vehicle.
It will have to be stripped down to the bare metal and degreased - no matter what you use.
The only thing I would stay away from is silicon based stuff because it can be hard to remove.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

Fred is spot on. ANY paint job prep will require constant degreasing throughout the various stages, regardless
of whether you applied something like linseed of MMO in the past. But more importantly is the second part about
silicons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 12:35 pm:

"silicon based stuff because it can be hard to remove."
Try near-impossible to remove, once it gets into the pores of the metal! Silicon is the darling of the "easy to apply" wax manufacturing folks, and the bane of painters everywhere.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration