OT - Rust Oleum rattle can defectives

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Rust Oleum rattle can defectives
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

This brand has been my choice for years. I only use the red oxide primer and gloss black. But for the last couple of years product quits spraying when there's plenty left in the can. It seems to have started when they changed the nozzle from the old cylindrical 7/16" tall to the broader base. I've done all the clearing and lacquer thinner cleaning of the nozzle that I know of. Even called the factory and they sent me 15 new nozzles for all the defective cans-to no avail. Anyone else have this problem and what did you do??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

I've had the same experience as you, switching nozzles and soaking in thinner doesn't help. I have switched to Valspar spray paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

I have the same problem. Hold the can upside down and spray until comes out clear (old style)of cleaning and ending a spray session. Now it is blocked and does not function the next day, or even a couple of hours later. If you are lucky enough to get it to spray at all, it comes out inconsistently and full of globs etc.
Expensive when you are paying $5 plus a can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

Rustoleum has been my choice for garden tractors and Briggs engines I restore for years but recently the paint is just not up to snuff. Runs at the slightest chance it gets, and won't come out of the can.And the Professional or Hardhat used to be really tough once cured but not any more. For most of my little projects now I use valspar or Ace hardware store brand as it is made by valspar from what I was told.
BUT Valspar is being bought out by Sherwin williams for 9 billion from what I saw on tv this morning so it may go down the tubes quality wise as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

I've used both Rustoleum and ACE brand spray paint. Lately I have switched over to ACE exclusively, as it sprays really well and cures faster. When compared to Rustoleum you have to try to make it run.

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 05:09 pm:

Its the current EPA regs, new formula for the paint, it happens to a lot of the cans now. The paint is drying/thickening within the can tube, its not the nozzle like the old days. Clearing the can does not work anymore.Plan on using the whole can or you will be tossing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

Ed,
If that's true, and I have no doubt that it is, it sounds like we've made a great stride in protecting the environment. Instead of discarding an empty can now we'll be discarding one with plenty of paint still in it.

I had some old house paint I needed to get rid of. Folks at our city offices told me as long as it's wet paint in the can it's hazardous waste. If I take the lid off and let it harden then I can just throw it in the garbage can. Given the problem with the new formula and these guidelines it sounds like a net increase in hazardous waste due to the EPA regulations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

I have these same issues with the best name brands like Rustoleum ect. It seems the Walmart primer doesn't have these same problems but their paints do the same as the others. I have had better luck lately using Ace brand paints. I only use the spray type paints for small parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 05:58 pm:

Wow !! Didn't know I had so many Forum Friends with similar Rustoleum disappointment. Thanks to most of ya'll I'll be buying Ace brand tomorrow!! Bought a '14 aluminum intake manifold at Chickasha and I want to cheat and paint it black for a NH straight through on my '26 roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

I switched to Valspar because of Rustoleum plugs up and I still have most of the can left. Tried to take it back but they don't want to deal with the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

A little wordy, but this video talks about using compressed air to blow the clog back down into the can. No more than 100 psi! I may give it a try the next time I get a clogged can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqwSg9sZZOI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

This is a really helpful posting, I have not had this problem to date, to bad, I've used Rustoleum forever. Valspar is/has been very good paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

Same thing here too. Bunch of crap. I've tossed out at least a half dozen of them this past year, and in doing so, believe me, I really didn't HAVE to go to church as a result! Plenty of religious exclamations in the barn. Well, except maybe for a good confession. :-( :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

Yep. Me too.

I sent an e-mail to the folks at Rustoleum and included the link to this thread.

I told them that guys USED to swear by Rustoleum.
Now they sweat AT Rustoleum.

: ^ (

If they don't post here on the thread, and I hear back from them, I will let you know what they say.

However, maybe they need to hear from the rest of you guys too...

http://www.rustoleum.com/pages/help-and-support/contact-us/

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

I have had many brand NEW cans stop up when I just started to use them. Shake them for 5 min, start to spray and they plug up. I do not care what you do, they are plugged for good. I tried to call their 1-800 # and guess what? They were closed for lunch! They can not have people answer the phone during lunch? WTF! Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

I have used air to blow back into spray cans, very carefully. If they're low or out of propellant, you can put a dent in the side, so you can tell when you have pressure. careful! Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

Dan, I called their 1-800 number and spoke to a real sweet lady obviously well versed in good customer service skills. But I wrongly assumed the problem was in their broad based removeable 'nozzle'. She quickly agreed to send me 15 of those rattle can nozzles. Didn't do any good. Interestingly, the problem doesn't seem to manifest itself in their Crystal Clear Lacquer product.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

Just toss the 1/2 empty cans in your burn barrel and have a good laugh. Life is short,
paint is cheap, laugh whenever possible !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

Ethynol in the gas that turns to glue, spray paint that turns to glue, new gas can spouts that require three hands to fill the lawnmower, batteries for toys that catch on fire and are banned from planes, etc...

Our government at work

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

Sounds like the problems I have been having. Suddenly I have a major problem with runs that I never had before when using Rustoleum. I live a block from an Ace Hardware. I will walk down there and buy a couple of cans to repaint the horn I just sanded down because the Rustoleum ran badly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

I have had this trouble as well. I was thinking perhaps I had gotten old stock. Now I am thinking it may be something else, perhaps a formulation change, as some seem to think. Do we know an approximate date when the formulation changed? Does anyone think there is a relationship to the the age of the product? How long can you keep it on the shelf?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

I've been using Rstolm. Protective Gloss Enamel with no issues. Does take a little longer to harden. Dryed to touch in four hrs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 05:40 am:

Mine are not half empty, they are all FULL. It stops up in the can. I have tried storing them upside down. That does not help, plugged up with the first spray. Most of mine are the rusty metal primer. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 06:17 am:

I've had them plug up too, although they were cans that hadn't been used for some time. What I do is stick a small rod(gas welding rod works good) in the tube after removing the nozzle and push it in. Make sure you wrap a rag around it because paint will go everywhere if you don't. Sometimes it may take a few times to get the semi-dried paint out. I haven't used any new cans lately. I have had very good luck with the Rustoleum Professional Grade gloss black in the past, I hope they haven't screwed it up.(: Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 06:21 am:

I have had a few of the same issues, but actually more trouble with the nozzles. But either way, the below has worked for me.

What I do now that seems to work good is immediately after use, I take the nozzle off and clean it out with brakleen (CRC 091314CA is my choice of use). I stick the straw of the brakleen into the bottom of the nozzle and spray until I get it to spray out of the Rustoleum nozzle. Be careful, it can splash back at you if your not careful. I also spray a little at and down the tube on the paint can to clean and flush it out too. It has seemed to work on 85-90% of the cans I use.

I don't agree that I should have to do this to use the product, but it has kept my frustration level to a minimum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 09:20 am:

George H...I think the reason the lacquer cans don't quit spraying like that is that lacquer is sort of "self cleaning", it no doubt opens the passageway back up when re-spraying. I always shoot some off on a test spot to let any goobers that also may pop out of it during the so-called "cleansing" process. Back when I was in the professional photog. business I learned from my mentor about that, we used to spray portraits with lacquer. Never once cleaned out our DeVilbiss gun after spraying. Just "pre-sprayed" a little first to clean it all through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 09:41 am:

I read recently that storing the spray cans on their sides keeps them from clogging up the internal tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 10:41 am:

I've had better luck with Krylon products. Faster drying, better finish, no problem with the cans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 10:44 am:

I've had similar problems, and the factory has sent me new nozzles too. I got one recently that wouldn't even work the first time, so I took it back to Home Depot, and they gave me a new one. I never had a problem with the old style nozzles, so why change them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 11:23 am:

I use the Valspar pro from Lowes since my last garbage can filling of Rustoleum that wouldn't spray. I think it is better paint but hard to tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 12:43 pm:

powder coat is a lot cheaper and they will sand blast it for you lasts for ever,no gas or oil problems.most charge under 500.00 for the hole car- body tin. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

Never had a problem, perhaps because I tend to paint when out side temp are over 70, and if lower I warm can a tad in warm water?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Rice on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

Hello Everyone,
I don't make it a habit to jump on the band wagon when I hear or read about possible issues with a product or service, but this thread got my attention because I personally have never experienced any negative issues with RUST-OLEUM paint. I am in the process of restoring two model T's myself and have used lots of rattle cans of RUST-OLEUM paint in the last three years. The guys at the hardware store smile every time I carry a box full out the door.

This morning I sent a short follow-up email to the good folks at RUST-OLEUM, along with the suggestion that someone please take a look at our web site and read some of the comments. Well, I can report that they did just that.

I must say that I am shocked at how fast I got a sincere and concerned response back. Within four hours, both the Director of Quality & Assurance and R&D departments contacted me and reported that they are already in the process of testing and evaluating representative samples of the SKU's as reported on the MTFCA web site. Folks, they are listening! They also have assured me that they will report back to me as soon as they learn more.

I believe that everyone can rest assured that RUST-OLEUM is a world leader in the paint and coatings industry and have already demonstrated by their lightning response back to me that they are very serious about maintaining quality and keeping their customers. I will keep you posted.

Kind Regards,
Rick Rice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Thanks so much for this information Rick. I have used Rustoleum for years but the last few years have been troublesome. I'm glad they are concerned and I await their response. I would gladly test any new nozzle that they develop but I just don't understand why they changed from one that had worked for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 07:48 pm:

switching to valspar and Ace as of today. Thought I was the only one with Rustoleum problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 09:08 am:

Rick..thanks for your time contacting Rustoleum. You've done just what I've been telling my wife I was going to do, but then of course, for a thousand reasons (usually the top one being to forget) I never did. Now you have got the ball rolling! Kudos to you.

Dennis, I don't think the nozzle is the issue. I've taken the nozzles off and cleaned up thoroughly, I knew they were open, and still no paint would come out. Even put a brand new nozzle from a second can on the trouble can, no luck. Plus, I would push down on the tube coming out of the can, and while I shoulda got a hand full of paint spray, nothing came out. The problem is deep down in the can. I've actually had them stop spraying barely minutes after my initial spray, when going to spray some more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 09:18 am:

I bought Rustoleum (Gloss Black and Sunrise Red) in bulk - for two projects I was working on about 3 years ago. I am stuck with about 10 cans of each color that are all full, but will not spray (no matter how much shaking, clearing of the nozzle, switching of the nozzles, etc). All the cans were stored in a climate-controlled environment. I just cannot bring myself to throw it all away, even though it is ALL worthless and makes me ill when I think of all the wasted cash those cans represent.

I switched to Krylon 2.5 years ago and will not go back to Rustoleum spray again. I still use Rustoleum brush paint, but for any spraying needs, I use Krylon. Their Fusion line lays down beautifully and has a quick cure and recoat time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 09:46 am:

FWIW I use a lot of the Rustoleum black epoxy appliance enamel and haven't noticed any issues with clogging. Maybe because of the epoxy, it's a different formula and doesn't suffer the same problems as the normal enamel formula.

Anyways so far so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

now that I remember I had trouble with a new color they came out with that was in the can size they sell at Walmart. It is Lagoon i think.Kinda blueish green.
Anyhow, they sent a check to repay me for the paint as the trouble I had it ruined my paint job on the mini bike frame I was working on.

I am also glad to read they are checking up on the complaints. They made a good product for years and just recently it has went down the tubes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

A friend of mine must be related to Steve Jelf. After his Rustoleum cans quit spraying, he turns them upside down puts a nail hole in the bottom then drains the paint into a jar. He then brushes it on and caps the jar for later use. Poor folks got poor ways....;o(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

I do that, too!

And:

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 06:36 pm:

Okay guys, here is what I heard back from the folks at Rustoleum:

Hello

Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support.

I am sorry that you are you are having issues with the spray cans. I can assure you that it is not the different nozzle that would be the cause of the can clogging as the nozzle is built the same as the old just the plastic around it is thicker for a more comfortable finger placement. What we did add is the any angle spray technology. This allows the coating to spray upside down. So that does eliminate the ability to clear the chamber. However this is not the root cause of spray paints clogging either because paint that is inside the can is not drying... since the paint that is still in the tube, is still in the pressurized environment it remains wet. So why does it clog? Well the clogging is due to larger pieces of the solids that did not break down in side the can and those larger pieces gets sucked into the tubing and are too large to escape the orifice...therefore causing the clog. Part of what our paints better quality that our competitors is the fact are spray paints cover better, quicker and are flexible making them able to take more abuse with out cracking or peeling. We get that quality because our spray paint contains more solids inside the can. Making sure shaking is done thoroughly and the cans are not cold are obvious ways to help. With that some times there are stray pieces of the solids that don't get broken up fully.

If you experience clogging you can call us and we will be more than happy to give you a refund for the product that clogged up on you.

Michael Casey

So there you have it. If you have had problems, I suggest you let them know. The more complaints they have, the faster they'll fix the problem! Here's the link:

http://www.rustoleum.com/pages/help-and-support/contact-us/

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

Thanks, Keith. I'll try giving the cans I have remaining more shake time before use. Once they're gone, I'll be sticking with Valspar since it seems to cover and last just as well and doesn't have the "excessive shaking to prevent clogging" issue. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

Thanks for the info. I guess I may not be shaking the sh-- out of them long enough. Makes some sense if you think about it.
I have been known to set a can on the wood stove for a minute or less to warm it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

If you get tired of excessive can shaking, make yourself one of these! :-O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcUf2-CnmhE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 08:42 am:

Well I shake the poop out of my Rustoleum spray cans and they still don't spray right and I continue to shake the can as I spray. I don't have the receipts for the spray I bought over the past two years and I bet it is at least two or three cases that I threw out. I'll stay with Valspar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

April issue of Auto Restorer has a two page article on this subject, with ideas from readers on how to cure the "rattle can blues." Lacquer thinner, thin copper wire, hot water, etc. TDE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 01:36 am:

Gave up on Restoleum, same problems - tried Krylon instead - no problems

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 04:11 am:

This may not help with the clogging up problem on Rustoleum but it could make shaking a little easier. I just learned this last year when I actually read the instructions on a can of spray paint (I don't remember what brand it was) and it really makes sense.

Most of us shake the can lengthwise so the mixing ball moves from end to end. If the can is held upright, grasped at the top and the bottom is whirled around in a circle, the mixing ball moves the thicker accumulated material around, loosening it up. The movement requires a lot less energy and makes less noise. As we get older, our joints appreciate any relief we can give them and this definitely relieves the elbows. You will feel it when the mixing ball is moving freely around the bottom of the can. At this point we can shake the can lengthwise for much less time than the "conventional" method to get the paint ready to spray.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:29 am:

I've tried storing spray cans upside down and I've tried storing cans on their sides and it still didn't help solve the clogging issue and like I stated before I always shake the crap out of them before I spray and during spraying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 10:09 am:

I still like Rustoleum. I haven't had a problem recently, and I have a bag of new replacement nozzles. I hope the issue will be corrected soon, but as I mentioned I haven't had any trouble lately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

I just had my first can crap out! I used it for a few seconds, stopped to turn the thing I was spraying and nothing! I returned it to Home Depot and they said they were getting a good number of returns for the same reason. I don't care what their expanation is but they better get it worked out or they are going to wind up with a lot of unsold product. I am now using Krylon and find it to be working just fine. Their explanation about paint solids clogging the tube sounds like a crock. I shook my can violently for 5 minutes because I read the earlier threads and it still happened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:48 pm:

I had 3 cams of the primer plug up instantly today. That's 8 cans I've thrown away because of the same problem. I wrote the company and received no response. I won't be buying any more of there paint. I've been using it for years. No more. Everyone I know will hear about this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 01:17 am:

Rust-O-Leum primer troubles...
At my former place of employ, I had decided the "suction tube" may be made of flexible silicone tube and will spray primer even if upside down so one cannot clean the tube out. We had several/many cans of good primer that were useless/plugged. Good primer, poor cans/tubes/delivery.
Then again, Van Sticky is the best paint in a can IF you can be patient and let it dry. :-)
rustoleum primer? the best. The paint, meh. It fades bad.
vansticky paint? the best.
I shouldn't post this babble

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 02:21 am:

Be sure it says oil base on the front of the Rustoleum cans.
They have two kinds of paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 04:42 am:

The EPA has done more to destroy the environment than any nuclear disaster or industrial accident.

Stop throwing away rustoleum cans. Save them up, all of you, save them up and bring them to wherever it is that rustoleum has their offices and pile them up, Or glue them together and make a wall or something. Just to prove how many of these cans don't work.

(Message edited by kep610 on March 31, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 09:13 am:

kep, your recommendation reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Kramer has been hoarding all of his Pottery Barn catalogs and decides to mail them back en masse to Pottery Barn! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 09:58 am:

Duey-
I am not familiar with Van Sticky paint.
Please tell us more about it.
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 10:19 am:

At first, I thought I was the problem. But after the same clogging experience using three subsequent cans of gloss black Rustoleum, I am relieved to find I am not alone in my frustration. After throwing the first three cans away, I somehow ended up turning the fourth can over 180 degrees so that I was spraying upside down. It worked! I don't know why, but the paint would spray in this position, but not when held upright, although there was some slobbering from the nozzle. 'Still better than tossing a can with 90% of the paint left inside. Although paint does spray now, it's difficult to control the application with the can upside down, as well as awkward in some applications where I can't reach because the bulk of the can is on top now.
Before you guys toss your almost full cans, try spraying them flipped over 180 degrees. Maybe it'll work for you, too. This doesn't take Rustoleum off the hook for shoving more 21st Century "environmentally-friendly" junk on us, but at least the cans already purchased can be put to some positive use.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

Hmmm, Marshall, think of the can as one of those newfangled spray guns that hold the paint above the gun! :-)
OR: send the cans to Australia or New Zealand, they're upside-down from us, maybe they will work right-side up for them! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 06:16 pm:

Hey Marshall, was it a tall can of gloss black?
We had one just last fall. Worked perfectly-upside down. :-)
Keith, I was smarting off about Van Sickle paints. Real slow to dry but very nice. Had to stamp asset numbers on some machine frames after powder coat. Smooth off, clean, prime grey (rust-o-leum) and paint gloss white with van Sickle. Two YEARS later, still just beautiful sitting outside in all weather. My "go to" touch up paint in a past life. :-)
Aaron, I didn't know about "oil based" rust-o-leum. I should try it if I can find it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 07:01 pm:

I don't know why you guys just don't bring them back to the store where you bought them. If they don't take them back that would be the last time I ever bought anything from them and if they do take them back you can be sure Rustoleum will hear about it and that is probably the best way to get them to resolve the problem. In the meanwhile it's Valspar for me from now on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

Duey C -
Yes! It WAS the tall can of gloss black purchased at Home Depot! So, you had the same upside-down success with yours, too?
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 02:22 am:

Marsh.
Yup! My coworker Justin was grumbling about this tall can that didn't work...We buy a can (or two) at a time. I waited awhile and later went to play with it when the time was right. OH!
Cleans the stem while upright? Turn it upside down and yeehaw! Sprays like it should (upside down).... Ahh, the stem is off....
Next day: Hey Justin, that can is just fine, turn it upside down and spray...... Blew him away but that can got emptied.
True

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Snyder on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

I had can of gloss black rusto just quit on me last night . so i gave it a shot of compressed air from my air gun . first took off the tip shot air backwards thru it . then shot air back thru to the can ... i know it seems kinda strange to shoot air into the can , but it worked ! i did put on safety glasses and turned my head not knowing if the can would pop ! just finished using the can today .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

Buy vansickel not spelled right but you will not have to prime. I used it on a trailer over ten years ago and it is just now starting to rust at the welds. And their is also a lot in a can

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

http://vansicklepaint.com/index.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rust-Oleum Corp. on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 10:44 am:

Dear Forum Members,
We are very sorry to hear of the experience some of you have had with some of our aerosol products.

For almost 100 years, the Rust-Oleum name has been synonymous with the word quality, so when we hear that our customers are not successful with our products, we want to know why, and how we can help. Specifically, we would like to understand why these products are not spraying properly for you.

As superior performing products, our aerosol formulas have always contained higher solid material than others in the market. Higher solids means better and faster coverage, and ultimately, better performance. Over time, these solids will start to separate from the liquid and the cans need to be shaken to get the mix into a homogenous state again. The longer it sits, the longer it may need to be agitated. Upon shaking the can to get the mixing ball dislodged, we then recommend an additional full minute of shaking to incorporate all of the material. Once mixed and the application has begun, we recommend shaking often during the application. Those solids need to be kept suspended to avoid things like clogging and sputtering.

Depending on the type of nozzle that is on the can, there are a couple of ways of keeping the can spraying properly should it need to be stored and used at a later date. The nozzle itself should be wiped clean and if it has a traditional nozzle (not a spray-anyway nozzle), the can should be turned upside down upon completion of spraying to clear out any product that may still be in the dip tube. This practice will help keep the integrity of the spray performance. However, should the can become clogged, the tip can be rinsed in mineral spirits or paint thinner to loosen any dried material that may have accumulated there. If cleaning the tip does not alleviate the clog, it may be inside the can, which will not be able to be cleared.

If this practice is followed and the cans still do not spray, we definitely would like an opportunity to look at them. We will we send you a prepaid shipping label to have your problematic cans returned to us for investigation. We want to keep your valued business and will do everything we can to remedy the situation.

If you have cans that you experienced problems with and would like to send them to us, please contact us at http://www.rustoleum.com/pages/help-and-support/contact-us and note MTFCA in the comments section.

Sincerely,
Jan Stevens, Director of Quality Assurance, Rust-Oleum Corporation

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 11:37 am:

I tried the upside-down can method last week on a can that had clogged up, it worked for me. Didn't spray out as forcefully as a new can, but at least I was able to use the contents. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 12:08 pm:

Well done. When a manufacturer takes the time to respond you can bet they're a class act. I have always and will continue to use Rust-Oleum products.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 12:35 pm:

Same for me as well, TIM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

Just sent them a email, we will see what happens. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

OK... I'll bite. Already threw away.a dozen nearly full red oxide primer and glossy black cans but still have many left. So I'll send the email too

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 03:22 pm:

Tossed the last useless cans of Rust-Oleum out last week. Back to True Value, Krylon and Valspar paint (or PPG thru a spray gun). Sorry but an apology just doesn't cut it as I've wasted too much money and time with a p___ poor product. How could something like this get into production? Hello R&D? Bye-Bye Rustoleum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 02:14 pm:

Well today I didn't have any clogging problem with the can but I bought high heat gloss to spray my head with while I had it off and the label states its gloss but after spraying it's definitely FLAT black. Not a happy camper and not buying Rust-Oleum any more. Been burnt too many times with clogging and now mislabeling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 09:13 am:

That is very kind of Rustoleum to do this, but, I rarely had a problem with the OLD STYLE NOZZLES. The problems began with the new style nozzles. Rustoleum has been very kind in supplying me with the new nozzles. I had to replace one yesterday, and after that, everything was fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Yuill on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 10:55 am:

If the issue is the new style nozzle go back to the old one.. problem solved. I, too, have had problems with Rust-O-Leum of late. Ace, Krylon, etc all have the "old" style nozzle and I agree, I can pull out a can I haven't used in months and it sprays. I always turn it upside down to clear nozzle and wipe off the nozzle opening so it's not clogged with dried paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 11:38 pm:

Jan, thank you much for looking at this little band of miscreants. ;-) They are good people.

I somehow make myself included with my perceived experience. :-) By lipping off. Again. Just trying to help actually.
Please don't be like Kohlxx and I hope your company tries to be be more like Kubotx. Grind on that one guys and gals. Get it yet? Yeah.
The first had a problem some years back and ignored us wholly. A couple of years later, their questionable part was changed to an easily serviceable part and I was not told about it by their rep's. Also their warranty was no good IF anyone did not have the correct paperwork to back up preventive maintenance services to the working assemblies.
I'll give them that about paperwork. I told my customers to get your records together of the oil changes or else you're fXXXXd. That's actually what I said.

The second had an issue with a part and they came back to me with "We have an issue but it may be up to six months until we can clear it up.
Yeehaw! Now that's something to pass along to the customer! They liked that. Quite true.

My customers loved me as I would not BullsXXt them. Also true.

Different with a can of paint.

Please consider Jan: Primer, light gray. Fantastic primer! Best ever in my worlds as I know them!
Allow "upside down" cleaning "back" into the procedure of the tube into the mix.
Tall black paint (or other cans that use the same parts): Please consider using an older style tube so IF (NOTE I SAY IF!) the operator/owner of that can of paint CAN understand the notion of turning the can upside-down to clean the tube and nozzle (and wiping it) after shaking it PROPERLY and using it.
Shake those Damxxd cans guys!
Very respectfully submitted and quite sorry to the mtfca clan for going off.
Used to be: You'd turn the can upside-down and spray until clean and put it away. Shake it good next time. Like usual.
Sorry.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration