Aluminum Head Guys Question?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Aluminum Head Guys Question?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

Are you still using the spark plug holes in your aluminum head to lift your motors? If not, what? PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

I use the head bolts. Don`t trust those threads

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 12:19 am:

Pat, I have never used the spark plug holes to lift the motor, aluminium head or not. I have a chain fall with 3 legs. Two go to trans cover bolt holes behind the bulge for the fly wheel. These have captive bolts welded in place to make fitting easy. The third leg goes to one of the top water outlet holes on the head. The lengths of the legs can be adjusted on the D shackle which links them together at the top over the head. Once set, I have never had a reason to alter it.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 07:29 am:

I've used the spark plus hole mounted rigs to move a couple of Z-Head and Prus Head engines without issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 09:50 am:

Mine is hanging on the hoist right now. Z head, #3 spark plug hole. Seems like quite a bit of thrust when the fuel ignites. Modern aluminum engines with smaller spark plugs seem to do just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 10:46 am:

Pat, I have been lifting T engines from the spark plug holes for the last 40 years without an incident. I just lifted an engine with a Z head a couple of days ago. In fact, I have never heard anecdotally from anyone of an issue with lifting a T with any sort of head from the spark plug holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 11:01 am:

I know the spark plug threads will be strong enough, though I feel better using a nylon sling going through the throttle hole between cyl 2&3. Not the optimum balance point, but it works fine - I use the manifold studs to reroute the sling at some moments to get better balance, and I feel a lot more secure than I would have with the engine hanging by a thread in my alu head :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

I use a short piece of chain and connect to both #3 and 4 spark plug holes. Allows great balance and cuts the load in half. It is made from 2-1/2" x3/8" pipe bushings. Then a pair of 3/8" eye bolts with nuts to retain them. About a foot of 1/4" chain. If used this for about 40 years!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

I use this to lift the Engine
136S
138S
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 01:14 pm:

Toon, Cool set up! You could probably life the whole car with that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 01:27 pm:

You will notice his certain of gravity is right between cylinders 3-4!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

I use the adapter that screws in the plug holes on Model T s and Model A s. I have never had a problem doing it that way. I like the set up in the pic above though. Just how i do it!!!! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

I believe the thought is on a Z type head with tapered threads the risk of pulling the threads out.

This could happen if the lifting attachment is not threaded in tight enough since the tapered thread might not make full contact. Got to say I've pulled an engine that way myself but doesn't mean that's the safest way. Toon has a nice set up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

No

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

I asked this question of Texas T when Ben owned it. He said it should be no problem removing the engine by one spark plug hole on the aluminum Z head. Never did it but that's what he said.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration