Too Much Of A Good Thing?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Too Much Of A Good Thing?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

While i had the engine out of my T to rebuild the trans, i decided i would upgrade the stock oil funnel to the bigger unit the vendors sell, and add an additional r/s line while i was in there. I already had an existing mag oil line installed but i figured there was no such thing as too much oil being pumped to the front of the engine, my T disagrees. After having all three of these oil lines i noticed i was having a lot more smoke out of the hole in the lifter galley and some puffs of oil out the exhaust as well. #1 plug was not completely oil fouled, but it did have oil on the outside perimeter of the plug. The engine has had a recent valve job and i know all the valve guides were in good shape, so this was baffling to me to say the least. Yesterday i decided to drop the pan cover and remove the r/s oiler and see how it would run without it. Tonight after work i ran it, no smoke from the exhaust and very little from the valve cover area. After letting it run for about 20 minutes, i pulled #1 plug and it was completely dry, go figure. Anyone else have this experience, or is my T just being a T? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 11:36 am:

Do you still have original cast iron pistons? That would explain the problem since the original pistons didn't have any oil control rings.

I have a high volume accessory pipe pouring oil between rod #1 and #2 without any oil smoke or fouling since I have fresh bored cylinders and alu pistons with oil rings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

Roger, i have aluminum pistons as well, the line i removed was flowing into the vicinity of the #1 dipper. I have got to scratch my head to why it didn't like that much extra oil there. Drove it again tonight, and all is back to normal with no smoking.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration