Troop 183 Update

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Troop 183 Update
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Rakestraw on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

Tonight was the first night in months that we could comfortably get back to work on our '26. Since the last posts, we've added a few new scouts to the troop and wasted no time getting them involved.

Tonight we removed the body, the firewall, the old exhaust pipe and muffler and opened the transmission access for a peek. On initial inspection, it looks like our luck is still holding - no obviously cracked drums and everything looks pretty clean. The body has a lot more rust damage than appears on casual inspection, but it's good enough and we can patch the worst. I expect as the weather improves we'll be grinding and painting in earnest.

Best

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 11:02 pm:

Looks like a good time was had by all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

Looks like they were having a great time. I'll bet their mothers love them coming home with their scout uniforms all dirty and greasy. Maybe they need to have a coverall uniform. Glad that you are able to get back to work on the project. Look forward to more progress reports.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 11:18 pm:

That will be a good experience for the troop and experiences that most kids will ever have in their lives. Maybe one of them will grow up and own a model T someday. That's very cool and great of you to introduce the kids to the hobby. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 03:43 am:

Mark, I am so glad that you are working with those kids and "planting" the seeds for future old car "nuts". Without "prodding" the younger generation this way, the hobby may not last long. I'm trying to get my grandkids involved, but it's hard to compete with the those damn video games!:-( GOOD JOB!!!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 06:22 am:

Mark,

That's great! Thank you and others who are investing in the lives of the next generation. And especially thanks for the innovative way you are introducing them to old Fords.

David,

I no longer have kids at home. But looking back at my own introduction to Model Ts I made the following observation within the last month or so. Initially I could have cared less about Model T Fords. I was too young to be allowed to play in the garage without Dad there (that was wise -- there were lots of things that could have hurt or killed me). But I always looked forward to the weekends. Why? We would drive around the neighborhood and afterwards have some sweet tea and ice-cream or just chocolate malts while sitting under the shade of the pecan tree (shade -- that is what we used to enjoy sitting under before there was air conditioning). As I thought about it recently it really wasn't the car but the ice-cream that I initially looked forward to experience. But as I got a little older, Dad let me work the gas and spark when he cranked the car. And later I was even allowed to crank the car. And then....I was finally allowed to drive the car! But I think it was the ice-cream that initially got me started wanting to go for a ride in Blackie. [For more information about Blackie our 1915 cut off see the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/10844.html ].

And even with ice-cream some of our children or grand children may never be interested in that special car we treasure. That's ok also -- we need to encourage them to find something worthwhile for them to invest their time.

Again thank you Mark for working with our youth and for introducing them to Model Ts and so much more.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 06:45 am:

Your Troop is period correct when choosing a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Rakestraw on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 06:51 am:

Awesome photo. Thanks all for the notes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 09:16 am:

Wish we had that opportunity when I was a scout. Great for these kids! Happy for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

You are doing good! Without some prodding and good examples set for our youth, society itself will eventually wither and die.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, w2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 05:16 am:

Not just in USA, but in Australia too!

Caption- "KOOLUNGA: Three young members of the 1st Koolunga Scout Troop standing by a Ford car where the Troop's mascot dog "Bijou" looks out of a window. The car belonged to Reverend Moody"

Caption-"PORT BROUGHTON: A Boy Scout camp near Port Broughton. The Ford car belonged to the Reverend Moody"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration