OT Help finding a previous thread

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT Help finding a previous thread
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 11:21 am:

I am trying to find a thread that I started last year. I tried the search function but no luck. Is there a way to look at all my previous threads? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 11:23 am:

Do you recall one or more keywords that were in the title of the thread?

If you do, go to the 2015 thread, hit CTRL-F, then type the keyword(s) in the search box. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 11:28 am:

Yes - Google the following to see all of your threads:

site:mtfca.com "Dave Wilson"

Here are the results:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=site:mtfca.com+%22dave+wils on%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl

If you include one key word in your search, it will narrow the results down considerably and make it easier to locate the specific thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 11:41 am:

Erik. Works great except for the thread I want regarding new spokes. When I select that one from the results listed, I just get several lines of "computer speak". The other results work ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 11:47 am:

Here's one about new spokes: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/594853.html?1451688014 :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 11:53 am:

You can use the forum search engine by putting Dave Wilson in the "Search for:" box, then change "Look in:" from "text of messages" to "name of authors". The last change you must do is to reduce the number of years the search engine can look in, like by clicking "recent posts" and put a number there like 400 days, or by choosing "Forum 2015" as the search topic.

That's how I found it :-)
(but Google is also my friend)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 11:54 am:

Roger. Great! How did you find it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

Roger. OK I got it! Thanks to everyone for their quick responses. Still looking for the tool for Canadian Kelsey rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

How to do it in Google:

site:mtfca.com "Dave Wilson" spokes

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=site:mtfca.com+%22dave+wils on%22+spokes&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

That was my 1st choice, too Erik.

However, as Dave W. wrote, for some reason Google did not manage to put it into it's memory bank.(No little green upside down triangle after the desired thread).

Thanks to Roger, we now have another tool for research!

Learn something new most every day on this Forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

It comes at the top of the list of results when I searched for it as shown in my prior post. This current thread is listed second, and "Treat my spokes…." is third on the list.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=site:mtfca.com+%22dave+wils on%22+spokes&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl

Don't know what the green upside down triangle is. I have an older Macbook and use Safari as my web browser.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

Hmmm,
May have to look into this Safari thing.

Erik, with Safari, when you get that 1st "hit" - a thread started by Dave Wilson, and you click on it, are you able to read the whole thread as started by Dave W.?

I am using Chrome as my browser, and when I click on that 1st "hit" I get the same "computer talk" that Dave W. received. I was only able to read the thread by using Roger's method. Maybe this is another instance of Safari being better than Google (chrome).

The "little green upside down triangle" is something Roger K wrote about awhile back. When I tried looking for Dave W.'s spoke post, the 1st "hit" was of his profile...larger blue letters on the 1st line, smaller green letters on second line. (No triangle at end of that line). The second "hit" also has large blue letters on 1st line, green letters on second line, followed by the little green upside down triangle. That icon signifies a cached by Google page. Sometimes, if a thread stays on the Forum for several days and for whatever reason cannot be found on the Forum, if you "Google" some pertinent words that were in that thread, Google will find it...clicking on that triangle will expose a drop down menu - one of the resultant choices is "cached". Clicking on that enables one to view a thread that existed prior to it's being deleted.

Take away lesson for me - whatever is published on the internet REMAINS on the internet - or someplace accessible by others - for a VERY long time. (I must be careful what I type).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration