Steering collumn

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Steering collumn
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

Has anyone ever shortened a steering callum

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

I have lengthened one, if that's any help at all. What specifically is your question or concern?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 03:53 pm:

I need more room for my belly. In my touring I haven`t figured away to slide the seat back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

If it's for your 26 Sedan, you could try a smaller diameter steering wheel first?
The diameter increased from 14-1/4" on the 09/10 cars to 17" on the '25-'27:s.
Earlier steering wheels should be available used or repro. Only disadvantage would be heavier steering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

Shortening the column would get it closer your belly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

we make the speedster wheel 12 1/2" o d Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman W. Woolley on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

I had a 1915 town car and bought the steering lowering wedges and reversed it. Langs had it
Part # SW1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

Try turning the steering wheel over so it is higher. This might solve your problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 06:38 pm:

I went to David Bakers house, and he had one already cut down. I think I`ll try this one, thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

I shortened a column to use in my small car. Removed the bezel and cut off about three inches of the housing. I also reversed the bezel as I needed to change the position of the mounting flange. I cut off the steering shaft on the bottom end and fit an arm for my steering. If you shorten yours you will need to section the steering shaft and weld back together to keep the tapered end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 06:28 am:

Fun little car, Gary :-)
What kind of engine does it have?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

Thanks. I used an electric start 6hp Briggs coupled to a hydrostatic transmission from a garden tractor. I have lots of fun with it in parades and get questions as to it's year. I tell them "It's an oh-eight" as 2008 is when I built it. The car is a Jimmy Woods design and plans are available at www.horselesscarriagereplicas.com. Also plans for a Model N Ford and others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 12:37 am:

Rick, I will be visiting the shortened column in the near future. The tube should be easy to shorten and I haven't decided which end of the shaft to cut and redo. I'm thinking somewhere between 1 and 2 inches should do. I need to do more figuring.

I need a little more room in the C-cab.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:29 am:

Shortened one by 3" for comfort. Removed a piece at the upper lower end, as the bearing surface for the bracket bushing was fine, same with taper and keyway.

Welding shop did great job, just remind them to index the two pieces in the same relation, the keyway for the Pitman arm is aligned between two of the pinion pins, opposite the long one for the groove in the steering case.

Std. column too long, short column tube in primer, added brass to mimic early column.

Be sure to keep Pitman arm keyway in same place as original.

Belly check....OK.. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration