Hayes 21" wire wheel rims what is the story on these rear wheels?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hayes 21" wire wheel rims what is the story on these rear wheels?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 03:55 pm:

i just got in a load of stuff and there are 2 21" rims that came off these wire wheels do not see a name on them they have internal threads please look at photo's and see if anyone knows anything about these, thank you Bob
they look prety cool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

Bob, I am almost certain they are Hayes wire wheels. The 21" ones with large brake drums are less plentiful. I guess the only market for them was the 26-7 cars with wooden wheels, there being 21" wires available from the factory. Yours have been played with. The six holes drilled between the rivets are not for a Ford fitment.

The biggest problem is finding rims for them. The standard Ford split rim is out. I bought two front ones and one had a Ford rim fitted. When bolted up, the lip on the rim had gone over the edge of the felloe, and the only way to get it off was to cut the tyre first.

I have a pair of front 21" ones if you/anyone wants to make a set.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

The 21" Hayes wire wheels pictured were sold by Ford Canada dealers in '26 for sure. I have a original parts book showing them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

These rims were mounted to these wheels they were on a truck when I got them, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

Yes these are Hayes demountable rim wire wheels.
Looks to me that someone replaced the original riveted on brake drum with one from T wood wheels ( drilled new wire spoke holes)hence the 6 unused holes and the bolts.
Rim you picture is the proper Hayes #330, as Allan said they are hard to find.

a

b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

I have some rims with that type of connector!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 03:47 am:

Bob, at second look,I notice that the hub is bolted to the brake drum. This is a modification. Normally they are riveted.

Layden may well be right about the fitting of a 26 wooden wheel brake drum. If the 21" Hayes wire wheels were built in the same manner as the 23" ones, the inner spokes should be laced through holes in the outer edge of the brake drum.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 03:51 am:

Bob, when you say they were on a truck, I take it that it was not a TT. The axle holes look like standard car type.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 03:53 am:

Bob, when you say they were on a truck, I take it that it was not a TT. The axle holes look like standard car type.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 10:34 am:

It has 11" drums it was on a TT but the whole chassis was a old put together, spokes look factory if not someone hid a very nice job lacing through the drum Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 11:01 am:

Thank you for all your help listed on t bay now Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

are the 30 x 3 1.2 hayes rim just like 21" but 23" instead for the hayes wire wheels
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

a few pic's Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

There are 2 rims that will fit the 23" Hayes demountable rim type wire wheel, as shown in the chart, they are the #100 and #110.

a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

Bob, the 30 x 3.5" rims are beaded edge, just like standard T rims. The Hayes rims will have the foot on the lug, which goes in over the felloe. For a brief time, Chevs had 23" straight sided rims. These may fit if the valve stem hole is shifted to suit the Hayes wheel.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration