Body Rivet Help needed on 26 Tudor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Body Rivet Help needed on 26 Tudor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

I need to begin riveting back some body parts that came apart 3 or so years ago. 2 cross members (rear and the center one) and the rivets on the sheet metal under the seats etc. The questions I have are concerning how to fasten them. Do I purchase some of the tools in the catalogs?, pneumatic bucking bar or a rivet jack? I'm looking for any help you can offer me. Thanks, Rand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 09:12 pm:

I have removed just about every rivet in my '27 coupe body.

I have been installing rivets in different things, to see what works good, and easy. I tried out some different ways of doing it.

I took a air chisel bit, and cut the end off. I then took a 1/4 (mite have been a reground 5/16) ball end mill, and made a socket in the end of the chisel about 3/16" deep. I use a body hammer dolly, to back up the rivet end, and hit the head a few times till it's the way I want it to be. Works good for me, looks good, and it's tight every time.

Soon I'm going to start to rivet everything back together, just been to busy all winter to do it.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 01:08 am:

Thanks Pat I think I have this one visualized from your explanation. I'll give it a go and see how it works for me. I have an air chisel bit that I can sacrifice .
Rand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 06:10 am:

You can buy rivets and tools from www.bigflatsrivet.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

Thanks Roger

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration