Clutch Fork

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Clutch Fork
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

I pulled the engine and transmission today, searching for a knocking noise. When I pulled the cover off the transmission I noticed that the clutch fork has a lot of side play, almost 3/8 of an inch. This looks excessive to me. As I operate the clutch, that fork moves on the ears of the release ring, and the release ring has some play side to side on the shaft, so it all ads up to lots of slop. I can also move the top, driver side triple gear up and down with lots of play. Not so much on the passenger side, and can't really reach the bottom one.

I have never torn a transmission down, but I do have the book. Any ideas or advise before I tear into this thing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

your pedal also moves from side to side as you push it down. It is supposed to move toward the hogs head as the low band is tightened, so some play in the fork is actually good, less likely to bind up.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 10:36 pm:

This being the first time, as you take pieces off lay them out in order and take pictures for future reference. Put each group of nuts & bolts into a sandwich bag and label them (engine pan, hogshead, ball cap, etc.).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 10:39 pm:

The triple gears shouldn't be that loose. Sounds like the bushings are worn out. The triple gears rotate on pins that are pressed into the flywheel, so fixing them will mean disassembling the transmission to replace the bushings and possibly the pins. If you do replace the pins and bushings in the triple gears, be sure to bore or ream the bushings to the necessary 0.004" total clearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 02:52 am:

And to polish the pins where the bushings ride--many of the replacement ones are actually a bit rough! You want those pins smoooooooth!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration