What can you tell me about this car?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What can you tell me about this car?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Canino on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 11:46 pm:

It has a cowboy in front of it? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 11:49 pm:

Looks like an after 1919 ish to early 23 coupe with a brass radiator added. You can see the upper hinge just behind and above the guys hat brim. Nice looking coupe, I sure would drive it. I have thought about doing the same thing to my 21 huckster just because.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 02:16 am:

My impression is this car is a customized compilation of different vintages of Model T. _The customized parts would include the electric headlights which are all brass instead of black-painted steel trimmed with brass. _Judging by the swoopy cowl and firewall, the body is either 1915 or '16. _So would be the sharp-cornered louvered hood and brass radiator. _The crowned fenders are 1917 or later and I think demountable wheels came out in 1919.

Now, back when I was a kid, I had a mongrel dog named King. _Other folks who had pedigree pooches (especially Rin-Tin-Tin and Lassie breeds, 'cause that's what was stylish at the time) sort of looked down their noses at King, but he was the sweetest, smartest, most even-tempered dog I'd ever known, and I loved the little guy dearly. _Don't get me wrong; I can appreciate a perfectly correct preservation or restoration, but I have a real soft spot in my heart for mutts, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 09:26 am:

So who won the chess game, Bob? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 09:34 am:

BTW, I believe Mark is correct about the car's vintage, and it's all dolled up with a '15-'16 radiator, hood, and hood former, along with earlier brass cowl lamps, red-painted wheels and pinstriping. My guess is that those are the stock headlights with the buckets brass-plated. The rest of the car's features, such as the body itself, fenders, demountable-rim wheels and spare tire, seem to be standard issue for a '19-'23 Coupe.

(Message edited by coupelet on March 23, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Canino on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

It's titled as a 1918?
That's about the only year that hasn't been mentioned on this "Mutt"? Haha

It's available and I like it, but don't know what a fair offer would be. Any guess-timate on what a fair offer for a "mutt" of this pedigree is?

Please be realistic... Not super lowball, I don't want to screw the seller. I wanna offer a fair price.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Canino on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

Nobody gonna jump on that loaded question???

All the info I can get I appreciate so I can hopefully make an informed decision.

Your opinion matters.... please

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

Looks to me like the dog is winning.
Frank, the car looks pretty nice in the photo, but condition is everything. Does the car still look that good and how does it run and drive? How is the interior? I agree the car is made up of parts from many years. It was not built to please the model T purist, but the owner and builder, and I bet they were happy with it. I would be proud to call it mine. In the current market, my guess is 8-12K, depending on current condition. Opinions will vary. Bear in mind some will offer estimates in the range of what they themselves would like to pay for it. Good luck and I hope you can bag it and enjoy it as much as the rest of us here love our cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Canino on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

Thanks Erik,
That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for.
-It's in pretty good shape still, exterior has less luster than shown in the photo, but not bad. its a driver car, not a shiny show car
-Interior is really nice still.
-It's a distributor car (I know the debate rages on about timer vs distributor, I've never owned a distributor car, I know nothing about them.)
-Auxiliary transmission (I didn't pay attention to make or model gear box)
-Oil pump run off the back of the water pump, never seen one of those before this one???
-Turtle deck full of misc parts (tubes flaps, bands, belts, hoses, wheel hubs, tools, etc

Hope the additional info helps

Anyone else care to weigh in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 03:27 am:

Maybe this will help. http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG99.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 08:55 am:

It's not a 1918 model year car. But if it were built and sold early in the 1919 model year (late calendar year 1918), it probably would be titled as a 1918.

I'd suggest offering about 8K for it and see where that goes. I think that's a fair offer, not a lowball. You shouldn't have to pay much more than that. If it's in very good condition, runs fine and doesn't really need anything, it might bring 10-11K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Canino on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Canino on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 09:05 am:

Thanks Mike Steve and Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 09:51 am:

From an another post --

The Ford Service Bulletin for (1921 July and 1921 October) discusses new body prices and the body shipped from the "nearest Assemby Plant, price $300.00 July 21 and for $235.00 October 21. For (1923 September)the Bulletin had a small discussion about "recent changes in design of Ford Cars have obsoleted all previous type bodies, and it will be necessary when supplying the new bodies in replacement to include the new type radiator...." The Coupe body was listed at $235.00 fob Detroit.

It may be that a Ford dealer or an owner wished to upgrade the body of the 1918 vehicle and Ford was now in a position to sell off surplus Briggs bodies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

Frank, I think it is a real nice car. I drive my cars to town EVERY day so the demountable wheels and auxiliary transmission are certainly a plus. Another nice thing about a 18 is the fire wall brackets. An 18 fire wall bracket lets you remove the motor if you ever have to do any work a lot easier. You would get many compliments driving that car. Every car that comes up for sale on the Forum are criticized by would be experts that think it is a big deal to drive their car across town once a month to an ice cream parlor.
I think Mike Walker is pretty close to the value of the car. It depends on how much you want that car. If you get that car you will find you are driving it way more than your other Ts. Ts in Colorado don't bring as much as either coast. You can offer $8K but if you have to go higher I would say you are still in the Ball Park at 12k to 14K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

How about some current photos of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Canino on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

Thank You all for your input. I feel I have enough info to make an informed offer.
Much appreciated!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration