First Use of New Magnet Charger

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: First Use of New Magnet Charger
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 10:39 am:

This last weekend I had the chance to try out my new-old-stock magnet charger I recently acquired. It was built by Cowie Electric. That company had been in business for over 100 years. It began in 1899 when Ernest Cowie began selling a spring-wound photograph for his friend, Thomas Edison. The business evolved into an auto repair shop. I purchased the charger from what was left of the branch in Wichita. The charger weighs about 59 pounds and came in its original wooden crate. It was missing the switch, which I was told, was usually replaced with a starter switch that was mounted in a wood box and operated by foot. That is what I did with mine.

It says that it can be operated on 12 to 18 VDC, with 15 VDC being optimum. I tried it with 12VDC and it seemed to work just fine. A friend needed his magnets recharged off of a Splitdorf mag for his 1909 EMF. That is the "horseshoe" shaped magnets in the background. The charger came with some blocks to allow smaller magnets to be charged (such as the Model T magnet shown). My guess is that this charger was built sometime in the 1940's. It was originally sold to shops that recharged magnets in magnetos. There isn't as much call for that anymore.

The end result was that the magnets went from barely being able to pick up 1 lb to holding up the 4 lb sledge hammer shown.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 10:41 am:

I neglected to mention, here is a link to a post about Cowie Electric.

http://www.kansas.com/news/business/article1085534.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 10:49 am:

Impressive! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 11:01 am:

Neat! Nice find. It would be nice to know how much current it draws at 12V.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 11:25 am:

Very cool Verne! Your next purchase should be some wheels for the sawhorses so you won't have to lug the charger and battery around. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 04:35 pm:

Great tool! I want one......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

Neither Cowie or Edison made much money off that spring-wound photograph. It was just a passing fad.

Regards all,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 11:02 pm:

My intent is to fabricate a stand to mount it on...yes, probably with wheels! This one seems to do a lot better than my other one did. It was much smaller. The smaller one did OK but this new one really puts the charge on magnets!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration