Rebuilt Coils and Low Gear Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rebuilt Coils and Low Gear Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By T Thompson on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 10:44 am:

First, I want to send a big thank-you to Brent Mize for his hard work and customer service. I just received my rebuilt coils and he did an amazing job.

So, I installed them into my 23... I felt a huge difference in both starting power and on the drive. From a dead stop it picked up speed much smoother and quicker but as it picked up speed in low I felt a pulling or maybe it was slipping? I had not felt this previously.

Could the increase in "power" from coils cause for a need to tighten the low band? Or I am I totally off-base?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 10:48 am:

Drive it a bit and make sure about what you're feeling. It's a whole 'nother smoke with set-up coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 10:48 am:

I suppose it's possible. Adjust the low band so that when fully pressed, the pedal is from 1 to 1 1/2 inches above the floorboards. Be sure to press firmly and keep firm pressure on the low pedal when you are in low to prevent slipping.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 10:48 am:

TT,

You're probably right in your thinking. Try adjusting the low band by maybe 1/2 - 1 turn. Don't try for a "high pedal", that only wears out bands prematurely and if you've got Kevlar, might break a drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 10:55 am:

Why not?
Do you have the pedal down by the floor boards? Did you press down hard enough? If it's less than 1 - 1-1/2" to the board and if pressing harder doesn't help, then some adjustment would be in order. It's easy since the adjustment is on the outside. Half a turn should make a difference. (don't adjust it more than needed - you may get drag when in neutral & high & the eccess heat can break the drum..)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 10:56 am:

If you can put very firm foot-pressure on the low-pedal without it contacting the floor boards, you don't need to adjust the low-band. _Jerry is right; the last thing you need with Kevlar linings is to have the bands adjusted any tighter than necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 10:57 am:

Oops, Roger beat me to the draw. _:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 11:00 am:

We all posted at the same time, some types faster than others :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By T Thompson on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 11:59 am:

I agree.. feels like a "new" 90yr old car with my new fresh coils.

I always press pedal all the way to the floor... (as learned from help from this forum on proper driving). and it does go all the way down with no floor board contact. I have not opened Hog to see what that press looks like inside though.

Ok got it. Thanks for the help. I'll take it out a bit more and then maybe a 1/2 turn or so and see how that feels.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration