Flipped rear axle tube/spring perch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Flipped rear axle tube/spring perch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

So myself and the sites "search" function are not getting along.
I'm lowering my chassis. I already know how I will be performing that task for the front axle. I am trying to find information on how to perform switching sides with the rear axle tube and how low it will drop the chassis.
Can someone please steer me in the right direction?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

Hi Chris,

Perhaps these will help. Mr. Google helped me find them:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/114634.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/562993.html?1440824553

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/127246.html?1284254091

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

Go figure!
Good ol Google
I must be brain dead today.
Thank you Bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

I'm a newbie to the hobby, so don't ask me, but here are some photos of my speedster project that everyone tells me is lowered 4" . Looks like a bracket on the rear lowered the spring attachment location lower and in front of the axle. As this speedster had a Warford installed and a shortened driveshaft as a result, the slightly forward location of the spring pushing the rear axle slightly towards the rear wuld not be an issue. Just included in the custom measurement for the driveshaft. I can take some photos of the front as well if you are interested.

Since the rear leaf spring is mounted in one of the holes for the hand brake parts, there are NO brakes on this speedster at all other than the transmission band. And with the Warford, it's an accident waiting to happen other than on a oval dirt track.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Holman on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

It seems like everyone I talk to is building a speedster. It's about time for some T club to organize a "Speedster Get-To-Gather". Preferably in the Midwest....like maybe the Kansas City area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

On a previous speedster I moved the rear axle ahead of the rear spring (a bit similar to how Ford did it on 32-4 cars). I used some brackets that attached to the original spring perch hole as well as the radius rod holes. Allowed the rear brakes to be kept as well as Rocky Mountains.
My logic was that speedsters tend to be way to light (relatively) on the rear axle compared to the front axle weight. This car also had the front axle mounted "suicide style" in front of the spring. So the wheel base was shortened 3", but the car approached about 50% weight on each axle for more balanced handling. Sorry I don't have any pictures

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration