OT sausage onion and peppers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT sausage onion and peppers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 07:17 pm:

HA Ha

We are having onions, peppers, and Italian sausage tonight.

I may be dead in the morning but I will die with a smile on my face!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

Every September we attend the Santa Rosalia Festival in Monterey, CA. It's a celebration of the Italian fishermen presided over by their Saint Rosalie. There's lots of Italian music and Italian food. My favorite is the Italian sausage sandwich with onions and peppers.

So far I've survived but as you say, if it kills me I'll die smiling! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

Forgot to add that it is being done in a big Lodge cast iron pan.

Thanks Dick!

(Message edited by Nhusa on March 23, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

Be careful...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

I just got thru eating some unbreaded chicken tenders I fried in a #8 cast iron frying pan. Just some garlic salt,sea salt and pepper and onions.Cooked until light brown on both sides. Ate some of that chicken with pinto beans cooked with ham i cooked in the crock pot yesterday.Um,good!
I have been getting some Italian sausage in 5 piece packs at walmart when they reduce it down because it is close to date.Seems if I eat more than 1 piece a day, I get a bad headache. Must be pork or something running up my blood pressure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

Italian cooking is my other hobby. Pesto and pasta is a regular thing around here when sausage pepper and onion are not on the menu.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Fred, Henry, Mack & Royce - Italian Sausage sandwiches with peppers & onions,......."YES"!!! My absolute favorite thing! Having grown up in Chicago, and having a father who absolutely loved Italian Sausage, believe me, I know good Italian Sausage! And living for 10 years in Montana, and now something over 30 years in the Seattle area, I can tell you that very few people in this part of the USA know anything about real, and really GOOD Italian Sausage. Steve & Diane Tomaso (Steve's T Works) have "fixed me up" a couple times with some pretty darn good Italian Sausage a couple times, but that's one of many losses I've encountered since Steve and Diane moved away! Anyway, all that to say, nobody like Hormel or Johnsonville or anything else at Safeway is like the Italian Sausage I grew up on in Chicago! (...never thought to check Walmart tho') One of the best I ever had was from an old Italian fellow that operated out of his little sidewalk stand near Maxwell St. in Chicago! Also, wherever my Dad used to get Italian Sausage when I was a kid was "to die for"! All I can remember is that it was "home-made" by an Italian fellow in either Maywood or Melrose Park (west Chicago suburbs). Oh well,.....that was over 60 years ago now I guess,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

I just finished making 175 meat and 150 cheese ravioli -- homemade pasta and filling -- for Easter dinner. Plus a big vat of bolognese sauce. Also, as part of dessert, I made 6 dozen pizzelle (one at a time, over the flame on the stove on my grandmothers nearly 100 year old iron), about 5 dozen cuccidate and about 4 dozen ricotta cookies. And I'm not done yet!!! No wonder I can't get anything done on my T. And I have two kids and two in-laws that are professional chefs. But do I get any help? Nooooo!

Royce, we should trade recipes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

sea salt, bah humbug, all salt comes from the sea. It's just a way of charging more for less by naming it that. It's just like calling tuna "tuna fish". Of course it's fish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

Thanks: Use more Lodge Cast iron cookware! They are one of my best customers. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

This love of Italian sausage is nothing new. In the photo below we had just finished making our own home made and have a platter full to cook up. This was taken Christmas time 1954. From left to right are me, my cousin Susie, my cousin Robert, our grandfather, our grandmother and my brother Al. To make a feeble attempt to get this thread on topic, this is the grandfather who at the time this photo was taken was using the TT I now have as his orchard truck.

Making Sausage 1954

Sorry the sausage doesn't show up better. I'm not the best with photo technology.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Saxon on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 11:22 pm:

Wow, that looks really good. I've been looking around but I can't find my invitation for dinner...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 12:04 am:

Fred,

Prego! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 06:20 am:

Tractor show season is getting ready to ramp up here in New England. Usually 2-3 vendors at those shows selling sausage and peppers (same thing when the country fair season starts in August). I pretty much live on a steady diet of sausage and peppers on weekends from April through early October.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 08:57 am:

Hummm? I seem to notice a theme here. Is it a requirement that if you own a Model "T" you must also have an appetite for Ice Cream / Sausage, Onions & Peppers / Shrimp / Lobster or am I just becoming addicted to FOOD in my later years? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 09:08 am:

Marty B.,

I'll be by to help rid you of some of that food!

Seriously, I plan to be there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:16 am:

If I ate that stuff I would have to wipe on a snow cone for three days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:20 am:

Why didn't you do it in a Manifold Cooker? Then, it wouldn't have been OT ! ! !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 01:19 pm:

Frank - I don't know how much salt comes from the sea, but I agree, it's a sales pitch.
I do know that a lot of salt comes from brine wells between Detroit and Port Huron. The salt mines get the road salt, the brine wells get the food grade salt. I hauled a bunch of it about 40 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

I'm not 100% on this, but there are different salts out there. "Table salt" has some additives. "Canning salt" is, if I remember correctly, absent ant additives intended for the purpose of canning. From Wikipedia:

Unrefined sea salt contains small amounts of magnesium and calcium halides and sulphates, traces of algal products, salt-resistant bacteria and sediment particles. The calcium and magnesium salts confer a faintly bitter overtone, and they make unrefined sea salt hygroscopic (i.e., it gradually absorbs moisture from air if stored uncovered). Algal products contribute a mildly "fishy" or "sea-air" odour, the latter from organobromine compounds. Sediments, the proportion of which varies with the source, give the salt a dull grey appearance. Since taste and aroma compounds are often detectable by humans in minute concentrations, sea salt may have a more complex flavor than pure sodium chloride when sprinkled on top of food. When salt is added during cooking however, these flavors would likely be overwhelmed by those of the food ingredients.[44] The refined salt industry cites scientific studies saying that raw sea and rock salts do not contain enough iodine salts to prevent iodine deficiency diseases.[45]

Different natural salts have different mineralities depending on their source, giving each one a unique flavour. Fleur de sel, a natural sea salt from the surface of evaporating brine in salt pans, has a unique flavour varying with the region from which it is produced. In traditional Korean cuisine, so-called "bamboo salt" is prepared by roasting salt[46] in a bamboo container plugged with mud at both ends. This product absorbs minerals from the bamboo and the mud, and has been claimed to increase the anticlastogenic and antimutagenic properties of doenjang (a fermented bean paste).[47]

Kosher salt, though refined, contains no iodine and has a much larger grain size than most refined salts. This can give it different properties when used in cooking, and can be useful for preparing kosher meat. Some kosher salt has been certified to meet kosher requirements by a hechsher, but this is not true for all products labelled as kosher salt.[48]

Pickling salt is ultrafine to speed dissolving to make brine. Gourmet salts may be used for specific tastes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

Here in farm country, farmers put blocks of white and blocks of iodine salt out in the pasture for the cows to lick on. Us kids would go out in the pasture and get down on all fours and lick, I liked the plain salt better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

Jerry, you know you're always more than welcome!!! But, there is a cover charge!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 06:06 pm:

Good news. I am still alive.

I told my wife I wanted to do it again tonight and she informed me that her olfactory glands needed a rest.
I didn't know she owned a factory. I wonder what they make!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

It sounds like they produce methane gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

IMHO it's not the sausage that produces the methane gas, it's the onions mostly assisted by the peppers. If we could come up with a way to burn this usually wasted methane in our T's we'd really have it made! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

I might have mis-spoke

I may be dead and in heaven.

Tonight I got leftover sausage, onions, and peppers.
Leftover's are better than first run!

I wonder which bedroom I will be sleeping in tonight!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

Many people like a "Ham 'n Eggs" breakfast, others like "Bacon 'n Eggs",.....well, I have a favorite that again, is probably my Dad's fault, cause as a kid in Chicago, we often had "Italian Sausage 'n Eggs"(and toast), and to this day, it's my favorite. My Mom used to cut up the Italian Sausage in little nickel size/shape pieces and fry them up with green peppers and onions on one side of a big cast iron griddle and the eggs on the other side. A pile of that fried Italian sausage green peppers & opinions on one side of my plate and a couple eggs on the other side with a couple pieces of toast,....oh man,....makes my mouth water just talking about it! I could have that for breakfast, lunch or dinner, any time or day or night! (....and sometimes did!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

oops,....ONIONS,....not "opinions",....dang,.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

You know,....I don't think I made that "typo",.....is that that auto correct thing everybody's talking about?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

Reading is interesting. I just read the above three posts and had to go back and read the first one three times to find the "opinions". I guess I see what I want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

Harold,
Yup. The auto correct has a mind of its own. It is compelled to "fix" everything. Changing your meaning or making nonsense out of what you wrote is just too bad. I find it more difficult to police the auto correct than just proof what I wrote.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

We are talking T's here!! Why not put those peppers, onions and sausage in the manifold cooker and enjoy lunch at the half way tour. Put them in a broiler bag and then in aluminum foil. Pop them in the cooker and drive for about 2-3 hours. Bring some Italian bread sliced the long way and load the fixins in. Dick C.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration